Views over Pittsburgh

jhermes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These two shots were taken a few weeks ago from the Duquesne Incline which overlooks downtown Pittsburgh. This was my first try doing nighttime city shots like this, so I'd really like critique on how to improve for next time. Each was about a 30 sec exposure. I realize there was issues on the first with the smoke - any ideas on how to fix that?

Nikon d70
35-70 f/3.3-4.5
55-200 f/4-5.6
Edits in Lightroom 3

Pittsburgh 1 by jphphotos, on Flickr

Pittsburgh 2 by jphphotos, on Flickr

Go to the West End Overlook, this is far enough away from the city where you can get the entire city and Heinz/PNC park! This is the shot you usually see when you see PGH on the news.

Nice shot! Sure makes me miss home!

Your shots are so graphic.

Hubby and family is from PB and the city is so wonderful. My first time there as a bride moons ago I saw that all of the guys had corsages for their dates no matter where you went in that city. I loved it.

My advice: Shoot a little earlier to catch some nice color in the sky. The great thing about this time of year is that it starts to get dusk/dark early enough that lots of the office windows are still lit at that time - perfect for cityscapes.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but you might enjoy seeing this shot I took from the same place: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/183036-shot-pittsburgh.html

No stadium.....:(

My advice: Shoot a little earlier to catch some nice color in the sky. The great thing about this time of year is that it starts to get dusk/dark early enough that lots of the office windows are still lit at that time - perfect for cityscapes.

It's not everyone's cup of tea, but you might enjoy seeing this shot I took from the same place: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/landscape-cityscape/183036-shot-pittsburgh.html

Hmm, I'll have to try that out next time I'm in the area. We managed to get the very last trip on the Incline - about 12:30 AM. By the way, I absolutely love your photo, it's completely surreal and just overall fantastic.

Go to the West End Overlook, this is far enough away from the city where you can get the entire city and Heinz/PNC park! This is the shot you usually see when you see PGH on the news.

Nice shot! Sure makes me miss home!

Thanks! I'll try that out next time I'm near Pittsburgh. My sister goes to college in the area so that allows for the occasional trip. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back