Vignetting in just one corner?

BrettG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys. I just got some pictures developed, and there appears to be some vignetting in the upper-left hand corner, and no other corners. I was under the impression that if you get vignetting, it'd be in all corners of the picture, is this not the case? It was taken with my Canon 24-85mm lens (with a lens hood on), at the 24mm angle. I've got some other shots taken at 24mm and none of them have any vignetting in them. The only thing I can think of that was different in this one picture was that I was aiming the camera up a bit (to capture the sky). Is this likely just a weird, isolated incident or something I should expect to happen more often?

I would ask you a few questions first. Is the vignetting on the negatives? Were you using a polarizing filter? If you use a polarizing filter you usually want to look for a low profile polarizer when using it with a wide or super wide angle lens. But my first guess would be it was the hood but again if the hood came with the lens then it should not give any problems.

If the vignetting is not aparent on the negs then it was probably something the printer did. When a neg is printed you usually loose about 5% around the neg because the neg carrier can not print 100% or you will get a black frame around the photo.

Hope that helps you solve the mystery.

If you're on the very edge of vignetting with a lens hood it's usually only on the ONE corner from which direction your light source is coming from.
Take a few pics with the light behind you and you get no vignetting. Move that light source around 45 degrees and it'll start to show up. Here are my examples. 24mm with my light source between 45-90deg to the lens and my light source at about 45deg up in elevation. Only one corner gets it....... Of course this is only my interpretation of your problem. It could be other things.

These are full frame 35mm with a 24mm lens.

WatsonLake070204-27.jpg

WatsonLake070204-10T.jpg

Yeah I checked the negative, it's on there. I forgot to mention, no filter was used, just the hood.

It might have been the hood then, it was taken of a sunset. Though the lens was almost directly facing the sun, or close enough, that might have done it.

I guess if the lens is facing the sun there's not a whole lot of use for a lens hood anyway, in the future I should probably just take it off for sunset shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back