Vignetting w/existing lens filters on D300

Snap Happy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mariastravels.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, haven't posted in a while, so please don't kill me if this is a well-beaten topic :)

In the past couple of months, I started using the D300 instead of my old D70s. Even lens/filter combos I never had a vignetting issue with before (e.g., my 18-200, 18-70 lenses) are now getting it bad. I'm using regular Hoya CPL filters. Before I go jump off the cliff and spend $$$$ on the Hoya "Pro" or some other line, figured I'd ask if anyone can rec specific CPL filters that will reduce (or better yet, eliminate!) the issue.

Previously with the D70s, I only had the issue at the low end with my 12-24mm Tokina, but now I'm getting it at the low end with the other two lenses as well (list below in sig). Short of reminding myself to back off the low end each and every frame I shoot, please tell me there's a lower profile filter out there that will work.

Even if I try to remember to avoid the 18mm setting, before I know it, in the heat of snapping away, I'm ending up with hundreds of shots that all need to be cropped or edited. Gah.

That sounds odd. You should not have vignetting with just a CPL filter on. Do you have any other filters on (UV filter, for example)?

Can you show us an example?

That sounds odd. You should not have vignetting with just a CPL filter on. Do you have any other filters on (UV filter, for example)?

Can you show us an example?

Don't have any other filters. I could show you 200 examples but nothing on this computer. Basically every single shot I took the day I visited Johnson Space Center had obvious vignetting.

Was using:
- D300
- Nikon 18-200mm VR
- regular fat Hoya CPL

I would just want to confirm that it's actual vignetting and not just light falloff.

Indeed what makes it strange is that the D70 and the D300 both have identical sensor sizes. Not within 1mm or 2mm but identical. The crop factor on both cameras is 1.5x. You should not normally get obvious vignetting when moving from one camera to the other.

Indeed what makes it strange is that the D70 and the D300 both have identical sensor sizes. Not within 1mm or 2mm but identical. The crop factor on both cameras is 1.5x. You should not normally get obvious vignetting when moving from one camera to the other.

Obvious mechanical vignetting. Goes away in the 20-something mm range. You can slide the lens from 18mm to higher and watch it go away.

Alas, I can't use 18mm with this filter. So, without discarding the wisdom imparted in the 47 replies on the this thread ;) -- whether this phenomenon is vignetting, some quirk of Nikon design, a Hoya conspiracy, divine intervention or alien technology -- does anyone have a friggin filter they can recommend that does NOT jack up the corners of each and every frame shot at 18mm with this camera/lens combo? Surely someone else on here has this camera/lens combo.

Thanks!

Go out and look for some low-profile polarisers. They aren't double sized like the standard cheap Hoya CirPols. Every company makes them I think.

Most reactions

Back