Viking Inspired shoot

Von Rottes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was something I did not to long after I bought my camera...first time really using it to photograph anyone/thing.

tumblr_oahsfrhYo11v5omx0o1_540.jpg

tumblr_oahsfrhYo11v5omx0o3_1280.jpg

Just going to post my favorite two shots.​

Welcome to the forum! :)
Great concept and a lovely (and interesting) model. I'm a fan of alternative looks. Not at all bad for first shots.

Now for some critique (I'm assuming you want it as that's the beauty of this particular forum):
Bright sunlight is a bear and both shots suffer from its effects. Overcast is better as it filters and softens the sunlight.. so remember to pray for clouds before you go out to shoot. ;) #1 particularly would have benefited from fill flash to counteract the deep shadows on her face. At least you didn't have her facing into the sun and squinting.
#1. I like the pose and the positioning, it gives the impression of power. On the negative side, (apart from the fill flash) get away from positioning your model in the center of the shot. In this one there's too much blank space on the right (behind her); if you re-cropped/reshot to move her to the right you'd have a better image in that the blank space would be where she's looking to.
Also, watch out for things like her left hand (the one on her hip). It's coming out of the deep shadow under her cloak and could almost appear to be a stray hand, not attached to her.

#2. Again, you've centered her instead of having her looking/facing into the shot - and this time you also clipped her toes off. I also think she'd look better and more natural if she was leaning slightly forward instead of backwards against nothing.

Overall good work with potential. I look forward to seeing more as you get familiar with your camera. :D

Most reactions

Back