Vintage Black Nikon F with serial 6408997 w/ lenses in metal attache

I see you used the word "Apollo" in your e-Bay listing, and called the camera "rare".

According to CameraQuest, Nikon F Apollo , there's no known association with the Apollo space program, and Mr. Gandy figures the so-called Apollo F production number was approximately ,"116,000 cameras". Not exactly "rare" as cameras go...

Only problem is..this camera does NOT have a plastic-tipped film advance..and the "black" F-prism shows chrome underneath,indicating it's not originally black, but was a chrome F-prism that has been painted...

You called this an F Apollo....but...well...it's not. I mean, jeeze...a painted, chromed F-prism? No plastic tip on the advance lever? Was the self-time lever plastic-tipped? because if it's not, and the film advance lever is not plastic tipped, this is not an "Apollo" F...

But one ought not be surprised that a couple people got excited after reading the word "Apollo" in your listing, and took the bait. As Gandy wrote: " Some collectors pay big premiums for the "Apollo," usually out of proportion to their abundance. The only ones worth premiums are the last five thousand or so, because they were the last F's. Officially the last F was number 7451052, but later cameras which appear to be original have been found."

I see you used the word "Apollo" in your e-Bay listing, and called the camera "rare".

According to CameraQuest, Nikon F Apollo , there's no known association with the Apollo space program, and Mr. Gandy figures the so-called Apollo F production number was approximately ,"116,000 cameras". Not exactly "rare" as cameras go...

Only problem is..this camera does NOT have a plastic-tipped film advance..and the "black" F-prism shows chrome underneath,indicating it's not originally black, but was a chrome F-prism that has been painted...

You called this an F Apollo....but...well...it's not. I mean, jeeze...a painted, chromed F-prism? No plastic tip on the advance lever? Was the self-time lever plastic-tipped? because if it's not, and the film advance lever is not plastic tipped, this is not an "Apollo" F...

But one ought not be surprised that a couple people got excited after reading the word "Apollo" in your listing, and took the bait. As Gandy wrote: " Some collectors pay big premiums for the "Apollo," usually out of proportion to their abundance. The only ones worth premiums are the last five thousand or so, because they were the last F's. Officially the last F was number 7451052, but later cameras which appear to be original have been found."
Caveat emptor... :(

Caveat emptor...

...indeed....

Wow! Nice! You bash me and everyone that bid on the camera. You assume that I was purposely trying to miss lead to make my sale. I was not and I try hard to be honest and fair. The F prism absolutely was NOT painted it had a small amount of brassing. The only chrome was underneath as it was this prism:
Nikon F 2nd version "Black" NIPPON KOGAKU JAPAN Plain Prism #2 | eBay

I made the mistake of thinking any black F was called Apollo black so I used that term and now I realize that was stupid on my part - thank you for enlightening me. I had no idea that it was only the later models with plastic parts that were considered Apollos. If people were swayed by the term "Rare Apollo" there would be a lot of cameras selling right now as many are listed that way. Fortunately, my buyer was wanting it because of the serial number and I am sure he was aware it was not an Apollo. He had offered $400 and someone else had made an offer too the minute it went up for auction. I was getting bids so I just thought I would let it run the course. After he won he sent me this message.

Well you did pretty well :)

So here’s the story in case you haven’t figured it out yet.

The original Nikon F is heavily collected. The most valuable Nikon F cameras are the ones fr 1959 w/ serial numbers 640xxxx (where xxxx are other digits). They were the ones made in the first year of production. Because they were so popular for use by professionals there aren’t tons of those early ones just floating around.

The majority of those 1959 models were in chrome because chrome was cool. They made a relatively small number of black ones. So black are usually worth twice as much ore more than chrome.

This one is interesting because the self-timer was repaired and replaced with the one from the very end of production. That would normally be a bummer but 640xxxx are so rare AND you have the receipt from a legit repair so not so bad for some collectors.

There’s been a lot of interest lately in 640xxxx nikons so not surprising there were a couple of bidders :)

Definitely an antique road show moment. Nikon F Black 64https://www.cameraquest.com/nfbl64.htm

the rest of the kit is fine, but not really worth more than about $250 total at most believe it or not!

Enjoy the windfall!

I doubt you agree with him but to each his own.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Gee, I should list my Apollo Barbie Polaroid One-Small-Step camera on eBay.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back