Vintage Black Nikon F with serial 6408997 w/ lenses in metal attache

I got the camera a few years ago thinking the lenses would be interchangeable with my camera but they were not. The man that sold it to me said he got it from someone in Hollywood who used it for business and it was serviced regularly. He said he used it very little after he bought it. I do have a couple old service records from the 70 & 80s not sure if that even matters. Now I am cleaning out the house and debating on what to do with this thing :) As everyone noticed it was used a lot. Timer and everything we played with seem to work fine.
We do not know how to tell if there are light leaks but the back fits on tightly. It is definitely brassing on the front
Black F/FT's take the same pictures as their silver counterparts....

I bought a Cannon AE-1 for $20 at a flea market with 2 lenses then traded it for a MINT Nikon FT with the single K Japanese branding a few months later. You can get most Nikon SLR's for under $200 (usually with a lens) if you are willing to look around. I bought an almost unused minty F3 for ~$150 not all that long ago.

This kit is pretty beat but its worth selling as a kit (people are usually into that). To help with the value we would need more info on the lenses as well as pictures of the glass its self, anything thats been sitting for a while runs the risk of mold etc.

One thing thats interesting is that camera is from the first year of production but based the number you have the 8997 camera made (assuming they started at 0001). So you do NOT have a cloth shutter camera (which would be valuable). The lighting makes it hard to tell if thats white paint showing or brass showing which as @Derrel points out is an important difference.

Based on the wear and tear and the setup you have this camera saw USE and lots of it. It may have even been a reporters or the such which means it most likely needs to be serviced. How are the seals looking? Any Major body damage? Any light leaks?

the photo made the worn areas look white. No major body damage. We can see no molding on the lenses. The lenses that came with it was a Nikkor 50mm 1:2 a Nikkor-Q Auto 1:2.8 f=135 besides the one on the camera. I am not sure if this is the type of pictures you need of the glass?

Attachments

• IMG_4137.JPG
    IMG_4137.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3442 2.JPG
    IMG_3442 2.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_4133.jpg
    IMG_4133.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 171
It does appear you have a genuine black body which increases the value slightly depending on who you ask but ultimately not much. The lenses look clean which is always a good thing but again they are nothing super special. You have a 35mm and a 50mm which are the standards for the set and unfortunately not the tick mark lenses. The old service receipts are somewhat irrelevant as they are to old to reflect current quality. Light leaks can only really be tested for by running a roll of film through it. Frankly you can replace the foam seals on these cameras at home for <$20 and I do it generally when ever I obtain one. If the seals are shot the foam has a tendency to fall apart to the touch. If you can find someone local with a shutter timer (or a shop willing to check it) you can see if the body needs an over haul. If everything is working (more or less) I'd say go out and use the thing, have some fun.

These days you can mount pre-AI lenses on any of the D3000 and D5000 series (no metering) or the Df. The 35mm, 50mm and 135mm are what everyone had so nothing unexpected there.

I really liked the focus ring style like on that on your 35mm lens. The 135mm f/2.8 was a good lens and the one I used had a built-in lens hood, overall a nice solid feel. Usually a 2x TC was in the bag to use with this lens, not sure if that is the black item.

I think this is best to sell as a kit just so you can do one sale. I would say to keep it only if it has sentimental value (doesn't sound like it) or you plan to use it (with the 35mm mounted and B&W it is a fun camera). Most of my SLR bodies had hinged backs, the Nikon F back comes all the way off and I was told to just stick it under my arm while walking and changing a roll of film.

F's have rather hard, wool felt seals, and they typically last much,much,much longer than soft, foam seals do. The 50mm f/2 is a significantly later production lens. The 3.5 cm f/2.8 and the 135mm f/2.8 were common prime lenses for the era, nothing special, but decent optics. I dunno...see if somebody will buy it off of e-Bay, perhaps. But do not expect anywhere near what that one collectibles page indicated.

Back then, black F’s were hard to get. The scarcity of black increased their value, law of supply and demand. Derrel’s observations and comments seem accurate. The camera may have been painted as it appears to be slivering instead of brassing.
I like "black over brass" just because it's not chrome. I have a couple black cameras -- 35 mm. vin

Oooh purty. That's quite the score. Why not give it a quick film test? See what it's capable of?

Sent from my [device_name] using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app
I will just take the suggestions above and sell it as a kit for whatever I can get. Cleaning out the closets and way too much stuff!

Oooh purty. That's quite the score. Why not give it a quick film test? See what it's capable of?

I will just take the suggestions above and sell it as a kit for whatever I can get. Cleaning out the closets and way too much stuff!
Ah. That makes sense. I should probably be the last person to talk... I buy and sell cameras as a hobby.

I am in total shock! It sold for $3050.00 :bouncingsmileys:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Indeed, amazing. In eight seconds, two idiots bid wildly against a third dim bulb, and one of them ended up in a situation where he'll soon realize he was had; He or She bought an apprx. $500 value kit and payed over $3,000 for it! It's sad because the bids for what this actually _is_ were pretty much in line with the actual value for the majority of the auction. But, as one can see, there were some automated bids that were "sniped" in at the last eight seconds. A testament to deceptive eBay listings. Just add the word "rare" to some old lenses and a thrasher body, and somebody with too much money will accept that it must be "rare".

Rare black F junker kit.jpg

Boy...will that buyer ever be pissed when he tries to flip this "rare" camera and three commonplace, low-end F-mount lenses.

Still, OP, you did yourself a favor by doing a fine job of writing a description that convinced a couple people into bidding way,way,way more than this set was actually worth.They probably have highly-payed jobs and plenty of disposable income.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back