Vintage mystery camera

snoogins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi folks,
Trying to identify the camera this woman is holding - photo is circa 1963.
Apologies for the quality - the scan is from a contact sheet.

Rztg6Qn.png

Cheers

She is holding a box. Are you sure it is a camera ? It appears that some light is coming out of that box, not very much camera like behavior in pre digital times.

^^^ This. The image quality is very poor. The only thing we can tell is that it is vaguely box-like, which pretty much limits your possibilities to something like an older Kodak 620 box camera or, well, a box.

Hi again,
Yes I'm sure it is a camera, as she can be seen using it in other photos.

This is, unfortunately, the only photo that comes close to showing any detail at all of the camera. Hopefully someone familiar with old box-type cameras will recognize it as one they've seen before.

Hi again,
Yes I'm sure it is a camera, as she can be seen using it in other photos.

This is, unfortunately, the only photo that comes close to showing any detail at all of the camera. Hopefully someone familiar with old box-type cameras will recognize it as one they've seen before.

The thing about those old box cameras? You know why they were called "box" cameras? Yup, because they looked like a small box. Without seeing the detail on the front or the text or other features such as the viewfinder or straps more clearly, it's not clear that anyone would ever be able to identify it definitively.

What I'll say is that if it IS a box camera, it's probably an older version. The cameras in the 1960s were starting to get smaller, so it's possible the camera was from the 50s or even earlier. Just look at these images:
https://www.google.com/search?q=195...iDcaOyAScg4DQBg&ved=0CB4QsAQ&biw=1280&bih=685

https://www.google.com/search?q=kod...biw=1280&bih=685#q=1940s+box+cameras&tbm=isch

If you have other pictures of the woman using the camera, perhaps you could post those as well. It might help to narrow things down a bit as not every camera is used the same way.

It's an Ansco-Matic Whoopie-Snapper Model 2 Special Edition with snakeskin covering. Only one example was ever made and it was last seen in Dallas on a certain November day near the grassy knoll in 1963.

... photo is circa 1963.

Circa 1963? How coy. :)

Last edited:
^ You have correctly guessed the event that I alluded to in my post. However, the identity of the person in the photo is a matter I will leave to the OP to discuss as he/she is the one who brought it here for discussion. :)

Last edited:
^ You have correctly guessed the event that I alluded to in my post. However, the identity of the person in the photo is a matter I will leave to the OP to discuss as he/she is the one who brought it here for discussion. :)
Indeed you have guessed it (I wondered how long it would take).

There are other photos of her appearing to hold it directly in front of her face with both hands, so it would seem that it is a type with the viewfinder in the back, not on top.

I was, of course, joking about the identity of the camera. The photo above is too indistinct to ID it. I don't think anyone could from that photo.

Film camera viewfinders are normally on top of the camera. Placing a VF on the back would mean that the film would be in the way. An exception would be view cameras with bellows and removable single sheet film holders but it doesn't appear that the woman in the photo is holding such a camera. It looks more like a simple box camera to me. Such cameras do have a window in the back so the photographer can read the frame number printed on the back of the film inside and they are usually dark red or green requiring peering into it at close range to read the number.

Darn, and here I wanted to go get one of those Whoopie Snappers! now I find out they exist only in Compur's imagination!

I agree it looks like a black box camera. I think she's actually holding the camera facing her, and what we're seeing is the lens (that appears as a grayish/whitish circle) reflecting the sunlight. That may have occurred to me because I often carry a camera with the lens facing and somewhat tucked against me especially if I'm walking in a crowd.

If I look close (take my glasses off) I see a lighter mark that might be the window that would be on the front of the camera where the image is projected onto the mirror. If it has a lens then it probably wouldn't be a real early box camera, I have more than one that doesn't have a lens, just a - hole (opening, whatever). But it doesn't look like an art deco style that had a metal design on the front; it doesn't look like a midcentury bakelite or vest pocket that often had a viewfinder on top of the camera. So I'm guessing it's from early 20th century.

I wonder if what appears top left (that is probably actually the top right side of the camera) isn't a viewfinder but is actually the strap or handle. Those usually go front to back or diagonally across the top of the box camera but they seem to often be broken - I've gotten cameras with the leather(ette) handle missing, or torn partly off. Maybe it's only attached to the front top of the camera, it seems to be at a somewhat odd angle - and that could explain why she's carrying it underneath.

I would guess the woman is not all that young, because the scarf and raincoat don't seem to be a style that would be worn by someone younger in the '60s; and by '63 there would be much more modern cameras but it wasn't unusual for people to keep cameras and still use them for years. So maybe she's the original owner of the box camera?

As far as the grassy knoll or gravely road, hmm, seems like Kramer and Newman were involved in an incident there... (but more likely in '93!).

Here is a page with a bunch of photos where you can see how she is holding the camera
The Babushka Lady

With the viewfinder I meant it doesn't appear that she is looking down into the top of the camera.

Excellent observation about holding it lens-inward.

I don't see how you could tell much of anything from those pictures. Usually box cameras didn't have a viewfinder on the top... but yeah I see how she's holding it up. If it's not a box camera it doesn't look like something more modern in that size and shape but I can't think what camera looked like a box with a viewfinder on top. There are some in bakelite that have a finder that goes front to back on the top and are like a teeny tiny tunnel to look thru but it doesn't look like one of those. Viewfinders on many vest pockets etc. were rigid or fold down and in metal not black so would probably have reflected some light.

I just can't think what had a black viewfinder on top that had this appearance.

Is it a still camera? I don't think it looks like a movie camera either but then I don't know as much about those.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back