Vista, Vista, Vista...

ok, here's my full and hopefully last statement/opinion on this . Tonight me and a colleague were working on a presentation for a class. when we tried to open a powerpoint presentation file on a mac, and it wouldnt open. We tried on a pc, and it worked fine . (the mac had powerpoint installed) I DO like macs though, i'm not saying i dont, and i feel bad that it has to be that way. (mac users looking down on the PC and a lot of pc users like myself liking both but not always bashing macs just because we dont use them... there are a small number of features i dont like about mac or course, which i've already noted, but overall, yeah, macs are probably better. I think for the price you pay, a mac SHOULD provide support for any hardware. If a pc is cheaper and DOES support most everything, why wouldnt I buy one instead of a mac? I'm paying for college. i'm going to college. i dont NEED anything professional or anything, my computer works fine the way it is. I just bought an HP laptop and i really enjoy it so far. vista is a memory hog , so i will need to upgrade that soon because i went for the 1gb version instead of 2, but other than that, i dont plan on upgrading anything for some time (or ever?) if i could afford a mac, i'd probably buy one. I think it would make me look cooler, and probably bring me a lotta good luck. but i cant afford one, and i dont really see how a mac would help me, an average user, any more than a pc to get stuff done.

I built my own dual-core with a pre tested mobo-processor-ram, and I am not a tech. It is not complicated at all as you get the book with the mobo and the wiring schematic with the case and power supply. It took the better part of one day and I love this machine, plus it is a source of pride that I "rolled my own." I will not go to Vista as all my periferals run on xp pro, and the dual core is very fast with processing videos and slide shows to dvd.

Here's a simple solution. You can buy the computer and then download one of the many excellent Linux distributions. Most of them include all the software you need for home computing uses including image editing. The cost is approximately zero. You can even dual boot the machine so that Vista and Linux are in separate partitions. One Linux distro I recommend to Windows users is called Xandros. It behaves quite a bit like Windows with the KDE desktop and makes a pretty easy transition for the Windows user. Another one would be SuSi with the same KDE desktop.

Then you can let Vista reside on the hard drive and ignore it until you need it for some reason. Linux will handle all the day to day computing with more speed, much, much more stability and complete freedom from viruses, trojans and adware. No need for a firewall even though all the distros include one. And best of all is the cost. 4 or 5 CD-R's or DVD-R's will be your total cost. How about tech support? Also free. There are all kinds of forums like this one but for Linux users.

ok, here's my full and hopefully last statement/opinion on this . Tonight me and a colleague were working on a presentation for a class. when we tried to open a powerpoint presentation file on a mac, and it wouldnt open. We tried on a pc, and it worked fine . (the mac had powerpoint installed)

Not an issue with Mac. MS powerpoint is supported my Microsoft. It is an issue you take up Microsoft. BTW... I use MS office for mac and I haven't had an issue except Mac's support of the older file versions of word, powerpoint, and excel.

I think for the price you pay, a mac SHOULD provide support for any hardware. If a pc is cheaper and DOES support most everything, why wouldnt I buy one instead of a mac?

Part of my work is software design and QA (been doing it for almost my entire life). We had two basic mantras:
* If a particular product was not tested it is not a product.
* Development time spent = 10% specification/implimentation, 80% test/certification, 10% maintenance.

It is virtually impossible to test/support everything, so you made wise choices and very specific specifications. Now a days, QA portion of the development cycle has been thrown out of the window and replaced with quick implimentation, spot check, attempt to support everything and throw it out the door. The idea is to go to market quickly and sell quickly.

Neither approach is bad.. one is focused on software engineering the other on sales.... If you focus on sales, which most consumer software companies do now, you have to live and deal with the spotty functionality, instability, and patches. If you focus on the software, you get a better overall product, but you have to deal with the added cost to develop the product, the specific requirements/specifications, and a smaller list of supported hardware.

For me, I work in a mix UNIX(and linux)/windows environment. As a Unix person, I found Mac OS x played will with the other Unix boxes (Mac OS X is basically a type of Unix based OS) and provided basic tools to interoperate with those Windows servers as well. At the same time, it provided an interface and functionality better suited for my daily stuff (photography included)... better than any Unix/Linux box could provide.

I understand Apple is expensive.... so are Porsches... and I'd love to own one too.

Btw... I've never paid full price for my Macs... Since the hardware is top rate, Mac OS does not get bloated after each release, and hardware support (albeit limited) is always backward compatible, I have no problems buying a Mac laptop or workstation that is a few years old. I guarantee that my per year cost on personal use computer hardware is a fraction of an equally enthusiastic windows/pc user who upgrades or buys a new computer almost every year. << that was my original point....

Here's a simple solution. You can buy the computer and then download one of the many excellent Linux distributions. Most of them include all the software you need for home computing uses including image editing. The cost is approximately zero. You can even dual boot the machine so that Vista and Linux are in separate partitions. One Linux distro I recommend to Windows users is called Xandros. It behaves quite a bit like Windows with the KDE desktop and makes a pretty easy transition for the Windows user. Another one would be SuSi with the same KDE desktop.

Then you can let Vista reside on the hard drive and ignore it until you need it for some reason. Linux will handle all the day to day computing with more speed, much, much more stability and complete freedom from viruses, trojans and adware. No need for a firewall even though all the distros include one. And best of all is the cost. 4 or 5 CD-R's or DVD-R's will be your total cost. How about tech support? Also free. There are all kinds of forums like this one but for Linux users.

Let's face it, Linux isnt for everyone and ESPECIALLY not creatives! All of the software she needs will probably not run it, and I'm guessing the threadstarter isnt willing to learn how to use open-source alternatives. Moving to Linux is a huge step to take for a PC user, and you are pretty much left to fend for yourself should something go wrong (there are, of course, online communities but nothing like pro support). Also, complete freedom from viruses? Rubbish. Number one rule of computer security is that nothing is 100% secure, not even Linux (although it is much more secure than Windows).

Same with Mac: software may not be multi-platform, also very expensive.

She made it clear she wants to stick to Windows, let's not get off topic.

As for Vista: I don't reccomend it. It will probably take a while for all of your software to get ported to it, too much memory usage that could be better spend elsewhere, it doesn't do anything XP doesn't although there are some interface improvements. Stick with XP for awhile. And Dell should offer XP.

Good luck and happy computing.

all i'm saying, is although i would like to have a mac, i cant afford one (i dont care how much it costs per year to operate, i'm talking initial price tag sure a porsche will last you years and years but can you afford one?) and also, a pickup truck can last just as long. i just want people to know that i'm NOT against macs, i just dont like how any point i bring up is immediately shot down with an excuse. NO computer is perfect , not even the mac. Apple makes great producs, sure, but they're not for everyone. i've always used windows based PCs, and been happy enough with them that i've never made the switch. you cant argue that, because personal experience is a better judge than statistics. I like my computer and it does what i want it to do, wich is all i ask out of it. maybe one day i'll buy a mac, but right now, money matters to me, and i CANT afford to buy one while i'm in college. i can afford all the very minor upgrades my laptop may need (wich is basically just some memory and thats all need anyway) but i cant afford the one time price of a mac right now and its as simple as that. this is like arguing that its better to buy a hassleblad medium format digital camera instead of my sony alpha. Sure, its probably going to last longer, but is it worth the extra price to ME??

Sadly a vast majority of new systems only ship with Vista. I've even had to buy Vista on Dell's at work, wipe them, and load XP.

It's the Microsoft tax ...

I personally and professionally do NOT like many things about Vista and am actually making the move to Mac right now. Especially since I can dual-boot my Macbook with XP to soften the transition until I get everything I want and need working perfectly with Mac software.

I'd say if it's the machine you want, buy it with the cheapest Vista then load XP.

Even though I am 100 percent a Mac guy at home, and all my photo software is (obviously) Mac, I can say that if I were buying a windows machine today... well...

Sorry, nope, can't do it. I would simply buy a Mac... I am such a MacBoy.

you can shut that feature off, its the first thing most vista users do when they get it , lol, anyone who doesnt know how to do it- turn off user account control, for the last time thoguh, i dont hate macs, own an ipod and love it , i've used macs and they're very nice, reliable, fast(usually) user friendly (although sometimes i feel that they're a little too businesslike and dont have anough fun features) and honestly i'll say, that if i would have read through this thread back when i was looking for a computer, i might have gone mac. oh wait, no i wouldnt have, they dont support solidworks software... but if it werent for that, i might have done it. maybe in the future. (but, sounds like excellent support for less things didnt win this round)

my advice- if you have a big budget, get a Mac. if not, build yourself a PC.

building a PC isn't that hard, in fact it will much more worth than buying one already built. in fact, after 2 years when you'll want to upgrade it you won't have to buy a whole new machine(like you must do with Mac) but just replace the parts you want. macs are faster for work, but more expensive.

personally, i'll build myslef a computer in a few months(once i'll be back from my trip) as i don't have that much money to spend on Mac.. my budget is 1000$ and it's gonna make a perfect computer.. and in 2 years all i have to do is add more rams, or change the mother board, or something else but won't have to buy a whole new machine.

as for vista, don't even think about it before there's at least a service pack out there.. my personal opinion

How about using Linux?

You ALL LOSE! :mrgreen:

Can you say blazing fast, and how many known viruses in its ENTIRE history? What? Two? TWO? ZERO active today? Yeah, thats right. :hail:

FYI, Windows has ~64,000 known viruses, and as many as 4,000 are currently active. It also runs dog slow compared to any Linux distro (givent he same hardware).

this is going to sound stupid, but its something that matters to me. How does linux LOOK? i always thought it was a really plain looking OS that didnt have many features that most people would need.... can you explain it a little more?

Most reactions

Back