Not open for further replies.

Derrel

Mr. Rain Cloud
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry to rain on the parade here, but the current How-To visual guide to posting a picture on here is a total FAILURE. Why????

Because the screen captures that illustrate how to do it are MISSING AN ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL last step!!! So, to all those, over the past few months, who have so smugly been referring people to this "visual guide" on how to post, take careful note: the Screen Captures the guy posted are INCOMPLETE,and flat out WRONG:

What's missing? His screen caps show pasting in the URLS, but have cropped out the last, critical piece of the puzzle for many people, Namely, that is is essential that the URL ends with [/IMG] Take a LOOK people, the screen captures were made with the posting window not a full width, and d not show the currently requisite FULL paste-in requirements for posting an image. The instructions are WRONG!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ls/PPStep4.jpg

So, the very clever poster who took on this project put up a tutorial that does NOT SHOW the proper format for getting images to post. HE SCREWED UP his screen captures, and failed to do a useful tutorial. So,referring newcomers to this epic fail is fruitless. I have seen numerous people referring newcomers to the above visual guide, which is itself a failure. After wondering why so many people did not "get it", I recalled that the last person I helped was Keith Foster--who was the last person allowed to post in the sticky beforew it was locked; Keith told me it just wasn't working right. I had garnered how to do it by looking at raw HTML code, which is a view that not everybody is familiar with. The number of posts over the past six months referring to this visual guide is amazing--and what's amazing is that people have been simply pointing "thattaway buddy!" but not checking in, and not even describing how to post.

If we had a *****complete and accurate****** set of screen caps showing the
, then maybe there wouldn't be this problem over and over for months and months; the original post went up THREE years ago, and it is STILL wrong to this day, in 2010.

For completness (incase the other thread where this is posted goes unnoticed) I should like to point out that in the context of the article it is infact complete. It's based around the photobucket website and thus whilst the complete display of the full coding would be ideal its not nessessarily needed since one only has to know enough to copy and paste the image tag line from the autogenerated photobucket slot.

It would be more correct to say that the guide has a missing element which is to deal with posting from sites other than photobucket and TPF and could be enhanced/extended to include refrences to both sites like flickr as well as to detail the complete coding used for posting an image to the website.

And yet, the required ending of .jpg and [/IMG] at the end has gone unnoticed for three years now, and dozens up dozens of posters have reported that the tutorial has not worked for them.

So, we have a three year-long problem and the article is said to be "correct"? Despite dozens of dozens of TPF newcomers reporting that there is a problem and they cannot seem to get the instructions to work.

The visual guide is flat out wrong, especially with today's current popular photo hosting sites. Photobucket is basically out of the game these days. The instructions that have been up for three years now (Feb 2007 post date) were created by a person who "assumed" facts not in evidence, and who "assumed" a level of knowledge not possessed by those of beginning skill levels.

The repeated comments that the on-line tutorial was evidence that the tutorial is/was clearly inadequate,and was failing to provide the needed help for beginners is distressing to me. I cannot count the number of dismissive, snarky retorts beginners here were given when they posted that their attempts at image posting were unsuccessful. Instructions that were clearly, not "right". If we want to parse "not right" into "incomplete", that too is "not right".

actually you don't need the img tags at all. You can just click the "add photo" and type in the link without the img tags (I suppose it does it for you). Now, if you include any tags at the beginning and don't include the closing tags that could be a problem.

That being said, come on... all they have to do is see the blue bar has selected everything and copy/paste it over.

First of all, I'm not a 'he.' Second of all . . . you can always make your own, you know. I'm barely active here now. I'm not about to update it.

Instead of whining, why not either make your own, or make constructive suggestions in a non-rude manner?

First of all, I'm not a 'he.' Second of all . . . you can always make your own, you know. I'm barely active here now. I'm not about to update it.

Instead of whining, why not either make your own, or make constructive suggestions in a non-rude manner?

Sorry, Corry ...your avatar photo looks like that of a guy. Remember "It's Pat?" on Saturday Night Live? Gender confusion. Corry. Pat. Terry. Leslie. Aidan. Dakota. Shilo. Girls' names or boys' names? Surely this can't be the first time you've been confused for a person of the opposite gender...I haven't seen a post you've ever done before this one. Sorry I mistook the guy picture and the ambiguous name as that of a guy. Usually one's alter-ego or avatar is of the same gender as the poster--that's the general idea behind an avatar. Your avatar is a male, ergo, you're a guy.

And BTW, the thread is LOCKED, Corry.

The rudeness has come from the hundreds of people who have blindly pointed people to the "visual" tutorial which is clearly, not working for the majority of posters. I have seen dozens of failed posts because the visual guide has not provided the required information to post links from pBase or Flickr, just for two examples of popular photo hosting service that are popular currently.

LOL
do you really think anyone of the whiners on here will do anything for themselves? :lmao: you should know by now that all people on here care about is how many other members think they know it all about photography.

BTW

hello Corry:hug::

Another constructive post from a person who claims to have 'left' TPF. :roll:

Derrel, if you have time to throw another one together i can sticky it. Thanks.

Fridays are slow days at work I guess ;)

ps whilst stickies are being mentioned any chance that the mentor Bio list (in beyond the basics ) might get re-stickied?

1. Another constructive post from a person who claims to have 'left' TPF. :roll:
:lol: He actually reported her thread with the same rant he made above. I PM'd him to suggest he write to Corry nicely and lose the CAPS if he did....before I saw that he'd made this thread.

Perfect! :lol:

LOL, hilarious. I never said I left TPF. I'm just rarely active, and when I am, it's in short spurts. I've had this thing called 'school' dominating my life, and I talk to my TPF friends via other methods.

So, someone posts a rude post towards me, and when I call him out on it, I'm attacked?

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

. . . the avatar is the lead singer of my favorite band, not my alter ego.

LOL, hilarious. I never said I left TPF. I'm just rarely active, and when I am, it's in short spurts. I've had this thing called 'school' dominating my life, and I talk to my TPF friends via other methods.

So, someone posts a rude post towards me, and when I call him out on it, I'm attacked?

Excuse me if it was hurtful that someone posted such a nasty and rude diatribe about a project that I spent hours on with the goal of helping new posters.

Of course it's outdated by now, I'm not denying that, but there are much better ways of going about correcting the problem than being nasty.

I think he meant me

Yea im not sure how Corry thought i ment her, it looks fairly clear i'm talking to LP.... oh well.

However i will say, before i lock this thread, i hope you can see why i made such a comment. I always liked LP, but to continuously pee in my backyard is a bit disrespectful, not only to me but to the people who are still valuable members here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back