Vivitar v2000 project

Norwolf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, new to this forum here, but I figured this would be the best place to get some real good feedback. I love cameras in general (For taking high-res images of sports), but I came across a really nice piece of equipment that my grandfather passed down to me.
$IMAG0201.jpg
This was something that he payed good money for and I feel like it would be a shame to let sit in my closet for an eternity, so I set out to do some research on "making it digital". I recognize that digital does not rival film yet in image quality and resolution, but film is too inconvenient for me as a university student and to be honest I really want to start an awesome project where I can proudly say "yes I did that".

My goal in this is not to save money, it is to "immortalize" the vivitar.

I hope to take a 35mm CMOS sensor, probably salvaged from another camera, and replace it with the back where the film rests. There seems to be enough room there. On the right side of the camera, where the cartridge lies, I could have a board with a micro-sd card connection in it. I could wire it so that the sensor turns on when I push down on the shutter button and turns off when the cmos sensor detects much less light. Here is an image of the internals:
$IMAG0203.jpg

This is obviously something that could work for many different cameras, and if this is successful I probably would do that with other ones. If feedback is positive I will probably start working on it. What do you think?

No. Not without some custom electronic and mechanical engineering, and getting the CMOS sensor to sit within 0.01mm or the correct position. The camera is manual/mechanical, basically a Cosina made copal-square camera. It can be done, will probably need a microcontroller based sensor to detect movement of the shutter to trigger the electronics. A number of camera backs have been made, usually relied on the electrical contacts that worked with a databack. My 20 year old Kodak DCS200 used the electrical contacts intended for the Nikon N8008s MF-21 data back to trigger the digital back. I don't think the Cosina has this feature. So, you have the flash sync contacts.

If Only....

http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmedia/index.php/Silicon_Film

http://www.ideinc.com/portfolio-consumer-electronics/siliconfilm.php

Use the camera with film.

Last edited:

There have been a couple successful DIY SLR to DSLR projects that really inspire me. When it comes to the Nikon digital back however, I feel like they created that patent to prevent other companies from selling camera digital backs. For Nikons, that means more people buying their cameras.

No. Not without some custom electronic and mechanical engineering, and getting the CMOS sensor to sit within 0.01mm or the correct position. The camera is manual/mechanical, basically a Cosina made copal-square camera. It can be done, will probably need a microcontroller based sensor to detect movement of the shutter to trigger the electronics. A number of camera backs have been made, usually relied on the electrical contacts that worked with a databack. My 20 year old Kodak DCS200 used the electrical contacts intended for the Nikon N8008s MF-21 data back to trigger the digital back. I don't think the Cosina has this feature. So, you have the flash sync contacts.

If Only....

Silicon Film - Dead Media Archive

IDE Inc. | Silicon Film EFS-1 Digital Imaging Device

Use the camera with film.

Custom electronic and mechanical engineering was exactly what I had in mind. I dont expect it to be easy, but I really think it is possible. I'm going to school for this sort of thing right now.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If this camera is truly important to you then I would strongly consider trying it with another one you can find at a pawn shop before hacking into your grandfathers old camera.

Digital back for M film cameras - Rangefinderforum.com

The idea of a digital back has been discussed. If you want to really use the camera for photography, a "3D printer" to do the camera back that fits would be nice. Would be a good electronics/mechanical/embedded processor project for school.

The Nikon patent: I believe the only mechanism that they can patent is the z-plane adjustment, for moving the sensor in relation to the film rails. I'm not sure if Kodak and other digital back manufacturers have a similar mechanism, hard to imagine that they did not. So the Nikon Patent does not prevent manufacturers from making digital backs for film cameras as they have done for the past 25 years.

Last edited:
If this camera is truly important to you then I would strongly consider trying it with another one you can find at a pawn shop before hacking into your grandfathers old camera.
...or truer yet to your grandfather...buy a roll of 35mm

I might buy the same model on ebay, they go for ~40$ and I could steal some parts from it later if I screw up.

Digital back for M film cameras - Rangefinderforum.com

The idea of a digital back has been discussed. If you want to really use the camera for photography, a "3D printer" to do the camera back that fits would be nice. Would be a good electronics/mechanical/embedded processor project for school.

The Nikon patent: I believe the only mechanism that they can patent is the z-plane adjustment, for muving the sensor in relation to the film rails. I'm not sure if Kodak and other digital back manufacturers have a similar mechanism, hard to imagine that they did not. So the Nikon Patent does not prevent manufacturers from making digital backs for film cameras as they have done for the past 25 years.

Yea, a 3D printer would be great. I'm sure if I draft up the camera back in autodesk inventor I can find a place that will print it out.

I already found an LCD display that I will use for the back of the camera. I am currently looking for a good camera (preferably broken so cheaper) that has a good 35mm sensor.

If you start with a digital Back, you will have an interface designed to work with a Film camera. All you will have to do is build an adapter to make it compatible with yours. If you start with a broken digital camera- you have to deal with electronics that are integrated to work as a unit. The interface will not be as obvious.

Easy, shoot film then scan.

I doubt you Grandfather would appreciate your butchering his camera although I'm sure he'd have loved to know you took it out and used it from time to time.

Except for removing the back, and plugging a cord and using the flash sync for an interface- no modifications to the camera should be necessary.

I would use the camera with film. It was easier to convert lenses to Leica mount, sell them, and buy a digital Rangefinder than to convert a digital back for the M3.

Except for removing the back, and plugging a cord and using the flash sync for an interface- no modifications to the camera should be necessary.

I would use the camera with film. It was easier to convert lenses to Leica mount, sell them, and buy a digital Rangefinder than to convert a digital back for the M3.

I do not want to do this project because of convenience. I am a tinkerer, I love customizing or modifying equipment in ways that they aren't meant to be modified. Thats why I am in school for engineering. Nevertheless, I'm not sure what to do exactly at this point, because a full framed CMOS sensor is not cheap. I was hoping to find someone who payed 1500 dollars for a camera with a full frame sensor in it, broke it, and is now selling it for 300$ for parts. Still havent found anything.

Instead I am contemplating another idea. The Canon Rebel has a decent line of cameras (and not too expensive when bought used). Instead of buying each seperate part and connecting it to a microcontroller, I would buy one of these cameras and put the internals (screen, sensor, board) in the back. This provides a few advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:
Easily hackable firmware (a lot of custom firmware exists already) - This would allow me to remove useless features, like video, and remove many of buttons/switches.
Not too expensive (300$-400$ for the body on craigslist)

Disadvantages
Crop factor (because of the smaller sensor) - I would have to draw a guide on the mirror so that I would know where are the borders of the image.

I like the camera back idea, but most digital camera backs that I have found have had low megapixels. I am looking for something that is about 10mp+

Let me know what you guys think

LOL HE DID NOT PAY GOOD MONEY FOR THAT THING!!! ROFL!! I CAN'T THINK OF A CHEAPER CAMERA THAN A VIVITAR LOLLOLOLLOLOL

LOL HE DID NOT PAY GOOD MONEY FOR THAT THING!!! ROFL!! I CAN'T THINK OF A CHEAPER CAMERA THAN A VIVITAR LOLLOLOLLOLOL

A forum isn't complete without a troll, isnt it? You aren't wrong though, later I found a Pentax SF1 that was actually my grandfather's camera. The Vivitar was actually my fathers. I would like to actually do the same to both of the cameras, but starting with the Vivitar.

Most reactions

Back