Voigtlander Bessa I

TomRussell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've 'aquired' (i.e. it was gonna be thrown away) a Voigtlander Bessa I Medium format (120 roll film) camera from work.

It -seems- to be fine...i just don't know if tis worth keeping..will i use it, you see?

Plus...its completely manual..no meters anywhere. Not that i'd expect any.

Being a child of the digital age..anyone have any idea how i can figure out how to correctly expose any photos i manage to take with this? I know about stuff like 'Sunny 16' but that's about all. (Yes, i like my digital slr. I love my digital SLR. it has funky stuff like dials and buttons and meters that tell you if you're underexposing ;))

Voigtlander's were one of the cameras to have in the 50's and 60's and I understand they are collectable.
Pretty good lenses for their time.
for exposure use a hand held light meter. Any basic book on photography will tell you how.
But if you don't know if you want it or not then you probably don't need it. Put it up for sale and use the money for something you need more :)

I'd quite like to at least run a film through it.... Any idea what sort of price i could expect for one in good nick?

prontor shutter, vaskar 105mm f/4.5 lens.

TomRussell said:
I'd quite like to at least run a film through it.... Any idea what sort of price i could expect for one in good nick?

prontor shutter, vaskar 105mm f/4.5 lens.

Well, it depends on the actual state of the camera. In excellent condition it could bring anywhere between $50 and 75. There were three combinations of lenses, the Skopar, the Helomar and the one you have, the Vaskar. I am very familiar with the Skopars, very sharp lenses, unfortunately don't know too much about the Vaskars. It would be wise running a B/W film through it and see what kind of pics you get, before attempting to sell it. You never know... :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back