Volunteering

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone volunteered for something like this?

http://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

I'm no pro, so I'm not exactly qualified, but someone sent me that link and I found it both heartbreaking and inspiring so I thought I'd offer it as an opportunity to anyone interested.

Wow, is that sad! I will look into it though, would definitely be something that I would volunteer for.

that is just heartbreaking. Today I was thinking of the volunteer opportunities that can come from photography...and that is what I want to do. I want to be a really good professional photographer who spends most of her shooting time volunteering...its my new goal. I had become a nurse with the same thoughts in mind (but left the profession before i finished all my training).

That site broke my heart. In theory I would really like to do something like that but I don't know if I could deal with it emotionally.

that is just heartbreaking. Today I was thinking of the volunteer opportunities that can come from photography...and that is what I want to do. I want to be a really good professional photographer who spends most of her shooting time volunteering...its my new goal. I had become a nurse with the same thoughts in mind (but left the profession before i finished all my training).

I do a lot of volunteer photography, there are so many places that can use your services. You can contact you local foster family services about taking birthday photos of kids in foster care. A good thing to do is donate free portraits for a drwaing to raise money. Right now I'm working with the Guardian Angel Animal Rescue. I take photos of foster pets that need homes. The images go on a website. If you want to see a slideshow I just made for an fundraiser event go to http://www.photodex.com/sharing/memberbrowsego.html
member name is taylorthornton
This slideshow has only a few of my images on it, it's mostly snapshots but I created the slideshow that they love and it will help them raise $$ and get the pets a home. If you do look at it be ready, it's very sad.

Bthornton - that's really cool. I have heard of volunteering pro-services for adoption websites to showcase the true beauty of the child to potential parents. I've never heard of birthday portraits, though, even if ithe need seems quite obvious. I can't imagine coming out of childhood with no photographic evidence of it.

bthorton - I PMed you

Stella, as an adoptive mom I totally want to do that. It really can help hard to place children homes. Alas, I am not a professional and i imagine they would want that.

I do my volunteer photography time with my local animal shelter. I find it quite rewarding and enjoy my time there. An added bonus is honing my skills with being quick on the draw.

Emerana, I'm sure you know that many children available for adoption are featured online in Texas. If you search (http://tare.dfps.state.tx.us/search/SearchMain.jsp) - you can see that some have really nice images and some are just terrible. I can see the benefit to having good quality images featured over mediocre snapshots. I'm not qualified either, but I know I could take better pics than many of the ones shown on the website. If it is important to you, it might be something you could pursue when you feel you are ready. Harris County has lots of kids that need homes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back