• Total voters

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all. My wife and I are expecting our first child. As such, I decided that I wanted to do something special in the nursery, and I came up with the idea of painting (or attempting to) a mural on one of the walls. We decided on a Winnie the Pooh theme, and I took several pics and photoshopped them all together for 2 different murals. I can't decide which I like best, so I thought I'd get a sampling from you all. Now, the pics are hardly photo-perfect, but I wasn't trying to reproduce an animation cel here, I just wanted a good pic to go by so I could project it on the wall and go from there. Hopefully, I'm not over my head with the painting on this.

Anyway, without further ado:
Sample 1

sample2.jpg

Sample 2

Sample1.jpg

Technical issue: I've never tried posting a poll question before, so I checked post a poll with 3 options ... option 1 = pic 1, option 2 = pic 2 and option 3 would be neither.

Thanks for the input

Awww.... congratulations on your baby! I like the first one as well. Either way you go, Winnie the Pooh is a great choice!

I'm the only person to vote for number two then. It seems more calming to me. There seems to be more to it as well. You could hide little messages and other stuff in the trees. Just like how Owl is sitting on a branch you could add things which your child could spot if she really looks at it.

Erm, I'm probably not making any sense here.

Hey congratulations on the baby :D
I agree with ferny about the calmness on the second one, but...theres just something now quite right...and i can't really put my finger on it. So i'm going to go for picture number one. oh and take pictures of the finished results!! :)

Thanks for the results and viewing so far guys and gals. I'm going to start on this tomorrow I think. I still like them both, but I think overall, I probably like the first one better. In the second one though, I like the laid back look to it as ferny and vixenta have said. So there's still some time if anyone else wants to vote. And yes, I'll be taking some shots of it along the way and perhaps post them here so you can see the progress. Either will really test my painting abilities I think.
Thanks for looking.
John

As promised, here are the finished results of the nursery! My brother in law and I worked on it for 2 weekends, and probably have about 20 hours in it. I think that I turned out very well, and am quite pleased with the results. What do you guys think? The actual mural is about 6x8' and there is a little more at the bottom that I cropped at the bottom.

WEBVIEW.jpg

I so wish I could hold a brush.
It looks great and I'm sure it'll get a great reception. Did you do it by hand or did you trace it somehow? And have you thought about putting some sort of varnish over the top so it's easy to clean pen and sticky finger prints off of it?

This is sooo nice and sooo reminds me of our playroom when I was only little (in the Sixties): my father and uncle had also painted a mural to one entire wall on the side, and it was a Disney Theme. They used colour chalk, no real paint. It was less shiny from when I begin to remember it actively. Ours was a Bambi scene. I wonder if there are any photos anywhere from that long ago... photos that would show that mural... It got hidden behind a fitted warderobe-press-shelves-piece (covering the ENTIRE wall) when I was only 6 or 7... so the mural can only have been up and to be seen for some 4 years or so... Trip down memory lane for me here.

When's your little one due to arrive then?
(Ha, more and more TPF babies. How thrilling: Canon Fan - any time now. You, Johnboy. Alison and Hobbes. Raymond...)

Thanks for the replies all. I took a still frame from "Winne the pooh - springtime" for the background, then cloned out some of the characters where I didn't like the pose. I then found some pics on the net of the individual characters and pasted them in. This gave us a decent hi-res pic to go by. Then we projected it onto the wall, painted the background and then more or less traced the characters and painted them.

I decided that it is sooo much more difficult to do something like with actual paint than the "digital paint" of photoshop. Never could find the undo button on the brushes.

Most reactions

Back