VPN...What Gives?

benjikan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
There have been many people on different forums expressing their concerns regarding VPN (Verical Pattern Noise) in the Pentax K10D. Although I haven't experienced this anomaly, those who have done so feel that Pentax have not addressed these concerns. Can a Firmware Update resolve this issue? Is it exclusive to Pentax or does it come down to understanding the limits of the digital domain. I tend to believe that if ones exposure is correct within reason, that this issue does not crop up.

Ben

...it can be fixed with a firmware update. If it's a sensor-based issue, it can't.

I've seen that with several camera/sensor brands. It is an issue affecting your latter point. The limits of the digital domain up to this point are what they are today. Tomorrows technology is just a blink away.

I have seen this issue on the D200. Frankly most the people who sent their camera back to get a warrenty fix are idiots who care more for their gear than photography. As far as I have found out the only way to make the issue appear in the first place is to blow the exposure of the picture so high that you couldn't use the photo anyway. (we are talking NOTHING in the bottom half of the histogram). I have not heard of a single case where this was an issue in normal field conditions (yes this includes those intentional over exposures).

I took this shot handheld at 1600 iso specifically to highlight the fact that I have not experienced any VPN (Vertical Pattern Noise) I wanted extreme highlights next to extreme shadows to illustrate this point. Converted from RAW to JPEG Medium resolution for upload purposes using Native ACR color settings in Photoshop "ProPhoto RGB" as my color space. I see absolutely no banding what so ever and was quite impressed with how clean the image was at 1600 iso "Correctly Exposed".

http://gallery.photographyreview.com/showphoto.php?photo=66395&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=240176

Most reactions

Back