wacky excuses for a day off work

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
I didnt feel like going into work yesterday so i phoned the boss and gave her some lame excuse about having a cold. I dont think she bought it and to be honest i dont blame her. It wasnt very imaginative to say the least.

A mate of mine was a bit more creative, and once told her boss that her nextdoor neighbours house had burnt down during the night and that the smoke had seeped in through her windows and made her feel too ill to come into work that day :confused: (complete lie of course) . It worked a treat and she was offered the whole week off.

What's the most wacky or creative excuse you've told the boss to get out of work?

(PS i might need to steal your ideas for a new excuse today!)

I just told my boss that I didn't feel to good.

Seemed to work fine.

FREE DAY OFF!!!

Pre-term labor works well ;)

bace said:
I just told my boss that I didn't feel to good.

Seemed to work fine.

FREE DAY OFF!!!

will generally work fine unless it runs into 3 or more days...by then you're probably expected to produce a dr's. note.

bosses aren't stupid, they see through most tales ;)

Yeah, plus right now I have 7 PTO day that I have to take off between now and then end of the year. I could've just said "I'm taking today off", and they probably would'a been cool with it.

Meh, now what do I do with my day?

It just puts me into a "fire 'em" frame of mind when I hear crap like that. :mrgreen: I have one right now who's pushing me there right now.

Word of caution, after a long weekend, get yer arses back to it! No one feels like it. Not even the boss. If you slack off it makes the boss feel like a sucker for not slacking off too. :lol: Only she can can ya, for spite. So suck it up!

I like how you are "the boss".

I think where I work (Walgreens) you would be expected to have a doctors note if you have more than ONE day off in a row...but we tend to have a lot of people who seem to get 'sick' often. :S Damn people. At my Domestic Violence Shelter job, I've only taken ONE day off in 4 years, and that was 2 weeks ago...due to extreme stress going on, very little sleep, and all that good stuff. I dont' wanna do that again...I missed my group kids way too much. :( I can't wait til Thursday.

I've heard lots.

Most common - 24 hour flu
Food poisoning
Car broke down out of town
Had to take spouse to hospital
Kids are home sick
No babysitter today
Gotta sit in court all day
Loan paperwork out of town
Family member passed (I caught one of my employees lying about this!!!)

Most are legit. But what I do is right them all down on my calendar. I keep the calendar blotters for 1 year. If the excuses are repetive, or I see a pattern in the days they're off (like Monday :angry1: ) that's when we have a problem!

I once booked two days for being snowed in at a buddys camp. The sad part is that I got laid off when I returned.

I guess I am not very creative, 20+ years in the work force, and have never missed a day for no reason. Maybe with a few more ideas from here, it can happen ;)

Most reactions

Back