Waffle House

Jazz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is the same transparency made into a 4x5 emulsion transfer and an 8x10 emulsion lift (type 809). It was taken just before dawn in Jonesboro, Arkansas. This was the first place I ever had grits. Which was why I was outside in the parking lot when the sky started to lighten a little before dawn. :puke-rig:

120000004-L.jpg

122895285-L.jpg

Very good job! I love the feel of the pics, and the subject seems to fit, too.

I'm from California, and when my family went to Florida a few years ago, we arrived around 2 am, and one of the only places open was a Waffle House in Orlando. It was my first time seeing grits, too, although I didn't dare touch them. :mrgreen:

Cal - Thanks. You didn't dare eat grits at Waffle House? Smart man.

mysteryscribe - lol - I did try them, that's why I was out in the parking lot. :mrgreen: I liked them but they didn't like me. But thanks. I agree there is a universal nerve touched by this place at night, especially in the wee hours. It looked so stark sitting out there on the road by itself, very American somehow.

When in a Waffle House, get a waffle. It's a pretty safe bet. ;)

I like them both, with a little bias for the transfer (I just am a fool for those muted color shifts, it seems). Both techniques suit the image well! Nice job, Jazz.

Waffle House is everywhere in the South. There must be 1000's of them. Last year I lost a tire on the interstate between Chattanooga and Nashville. It was really early. I limped into the Nashville suburbs on my spare and parked my car at a tire store that would open at 9:00 AM. Across the street was a Waffle House. I had an excellent breakfast and was amazed how charming and chatty the employees were. It was a very positive experience. The time went quickly and when I got to the tire store at 9 I had a smile on my face. It had been a tough morning but the Waffle House made it better.

Haven't been to a Waffle House since Ohio passed a no-smoking-anywhere law. Not a smoker myself, but wondering if it will still be a Waffle House without the acrid effluvium of stale coffee and old smokes! :mrgreen:

Someone once drove a car through a waffle house window where I live. When it was replaced you could see just how greasy and coated with nicotine the windows were. Didn't seem to hurt business but afterward I always described old diner walls as darkened by too many years of fried food and cigarette smoke.

Most reactions

Back