Waist level view finders

TheHulk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently picked up a Bronica ETRS. I luckily bought it with the AE-II prism which is a metering prism. Although I enjoy the built in metering functions, I'd also like a waist level viewfinder. I didn't know they cost as much as they do. I bought a Bronica lens off of KEH in "excellent" condition for 80 bucks, but the waist level viewer is almost 100. Is there something I'm missing? Or am I just cheap. They don't seem very sophisticated.

The asking prices for WLFs seem to have more to do with the fact that they are just more sought after these days than eye level types. Originally they were the lowest cost finders and the fancy metered eye level prisms cost the most. But, in my opinion, WLFs are just more pleasant to use on most MF cameras when hand holding. They are also closer in function to the modern screens on digital cameras so many younger shooters might like them for that reason.

SQUARE format cameras work GREAT with a waist-level finder. The ETRS though shoots rectangular image, and was a portrait/wedding camera, and a wasit level is impractical for many shots...hence the ETRS was most frequently sold, and used, with a prism finder. As a sheer supply and demand thing, there were not that many waist level finders made for ETRS cameras. Shooting a vertical with an ETRS and a wl finder is kind of awkward, and since it was such a popular wedding camera, the prism option was by far the most popular way to use it.

Makes sense. I guess I'll just have to deal with it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back