Waiting

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Day 17 of a 30 day in hospital treatment for my wife, the days are starting to drift together. Every day I drive by this set of benches and every day I think how they reflect my feelings. Each one the same as the next, each one dimming as they pass, and each one waiting. It's been really hard to do much in the way of photography, but I did catch this one today. Not sure if I like the color or B&W version. Any suggestions?
IMGP0663 -1 B&W small.jpg
IMGP0663 -1 small.jpg

Slightly lightened
IMGP0665 b&w re small.jpg
version

The colour is better. I see what you're getting at. I would try to retain more height in the image, more of the foreground and background as long as it's the same featureless nature as shown as this would add to a sense of isolation. You could also use a curves layer with a graduated mask to pull the contrast (highlights) down so if fades more towards the right to enhance the effect. Like so?

mod-3.jpg

Hope your wife gets better.

Thanks Tim Tucker, I'm glad someone got it!! I've looked at these benches no less than 40 + times in driving past, each time trying to resolve why they kept catching my attention. I've not once seen a single soul sitting in them. It finally came together yesterday, at a time when there was perfect dreary light and of course no camera. Went back to today, and had to deal with less than perfect light. Lots of sun, mixed shade. I was going for an illusion of something comforting , yet slightly darker, maybe even a little ominous, hence the overprocessing. Since I'll be passing by several more times, I think I'll try to catch the light and maybe experiment a little with an HDR version. Just above the top edge of the image was a line of rather ugly victorianish lights that didn't start till over the 2nd bench. They would have added to the mood, but I couldn't include them, because on the left side was an ugly modern stairs that extended up and would also have shown. Thanks for the kind words. wife is past the worse, just have to "wait"it out - though not on these benches LOL

Hope your wife will be doing better soon. :)

I really like these, but I don't know which I like better. :)

Thank you, for the kind words. She's pretty much in recovery mode now. Today is the first day in over a month, my camera has been out of the bag. Felt good!!!!

Thank you, for the kind words. She's pretty much in recovery mode now. Today is the first day in over a month, my camera has been out of the bag. Felt good!!!!

Glad to hear she is now recovering. :)
It has been several weeks since I have gotten out for a good photo adventure, and my shutter finger is starting to twitch! LOL

I like any of them. I felt it right away upon viewing. Obviously, you need to spend as much time as possible with your wife who is recovering. However, embrace this capture, remember it. It is very good.

I like any of them. I felt it right away upon viewing. Obviously, you need to spend as much time as possible with your wife who is recovering. However, embrace this capture, remember it. It is very good.

Thanks JC. Watching your progress has been difficult because of wanting to take a few myself. While staying with the same look and feel I'd like to improve on the technicals by reshooting. There is no parking close, so yesterday I took advantage of the lack of traffic to stop in the street and grab a quick shot. Need to walk over so I can take the time to set up.

Thanks JC. Watching your progress has been difficult because of wanting to take a few myself. While staying with the same look and feel I'd like to improve on the technicals by reshooting. There is no parking close, so yesterday I took advantage of the lack of traffic to stop in the street and grab a quick shot. Need to walk over so I can take the time to set up.

I am praying for your wife's speedy recovery and comfort.

The colour is better. I see what you're getting at. I would try to retain more height in the image, more of the foreground and background as long as it's the same featureless nature as shown as this would add to a sense of isolation. You could also use a curves layer with a graduated mask to pull the contrast (highlights) down so if fades more towards the right to enhance the effect. Like so?

View attachment 124820

Hope your wife gets better.

I've been experimenting with your suggestions and like the effect. I really need to re shoot this on a tripod as the focus isn't as sharp as I'd like Do you think the addition of a little ground fog either real or post process would add or detract from the image?

I've been experimenting with your suggestions and like the effect. I really need to re shoot this on a tripod as the focus isn't as sharp as I'd like Do you think the addition of a little ground fog either real or post process would add or detract from the image?

Try it and see. It's not much different to what I did really. Fog is just the removal of the black point and all I did was fade out the white point to the right.

Day 17 of a 30 day in hospital treatment for my wife, the days are starting to drift together. Every day I drive by this set of benches and every day I think how they reflect my feelings. Each one the same as the next, each one dimming as they pass, and each one waiting. It's been really hard to do much in the way of photography, but I did catch this one today. Not sure if I like the color or B&W version. Any suggestions?View attachment 124811 View attachment 124812
Nice shot. I prefer the B&W. I hope your wife's treatment is complete and successful. It will be nice to see a shot of the both of you sitting on one of those benches, smiling.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back