Waiting

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
It's been quite a while since I posted anything. I did this one some time ago. Seems all I shoot these days are buildings and products.

I'd be grateful for any critique.

Thanks much!
-Pete
IMG_7428alt.jpg

Nicely done. What's the intent of the image?

Great question. I've asked myself the same.

This fellow was awaiting sentencing and spent a couple of months hanging out at the barber shop next to my studio. We became friends and would spend hours chatting about his life and mine. I was compelled to make this image on one of our visits. I can't really say why.

So it's all me. Something I was seeing, but not certain what it was. We didn't spend much time on it. He was dressed as such. I made 10 exposures in about one minute.

The best reason of all: An image made purely for the sake of making an image. I thought perhaps it was for an artist's bio or something similar. I think you nailed it with the OP; the crop and processing are really nice.

So it's all me. Something I was seeing, but not certain what it was.

The eyes man, it's the eyes! The first image does a great job highlighting this.

I prefer the less-rotated position of the eyes in the original, un-cropped photo. To me, the cropped-down image has a lot of eye-level variation, and it's a bit disconcerting. I really am not that fond of the originally-shown version of the shot. It's very close-up and just feels "off" in some indefinable way. YMMV.

I prefer the less-rotated position of the eyes in the original, un-cropped photo. To me, the cropped-down image has a lot of eye-level variation, and it's a bit disconcerting. I really am not that fond of the originally-shown version of the shot. It's very close-up and just feels "off" in some indefinable way. YMMV.
I understand this point completely. Perhaps it's his brow line, combined with the angle with which he looks at the camera.

That said, I love this close crop! It's intense, he is lovely, and the back story adds a bit of a tragic element that other viewers may never know. I'd give this crop a strong thumbs-up either way. I'm happy you listened to your compulsory side telling you to get a shot. :) I hope he likes it, too.

Just a thought in looking at the other comments, I took the original up to a close crop to compare to the OP. When you do that IMO having the eyes level changes the mood of the image, it gives it a more sinister look. Having the tilt IMO, gives it a more open, inquisitive feel, less sinister. Either would work equally well depending on the mood you want to project.

Having the tilt IMO, gives it a more open, inquisitive feel, less sinister.

Thanks. You put into words something I was beginning to realize.

I did the rotation right before posting it here. It was drilled into my head decades ago that diagonals were more desirable than horizontal lines in any composition. Initially, I liked the "flow." It seemed less stagnant. I'm gradually starting to feel less threatened by the image. Hmmm.....

Thanks for your insight!

-Pete

Agree with Tirediron but not sure how I would have cropped....most likely would have shot the crop, not deciding on it later. The undefinable issue is that it's flat as a board. There's no life in the eyes which makes the stare uninteresting. There's a lot of potential in this shot with proper editing/cropping.

eyes.jpg

I did. There's no pop to the eyes which leaves more of a vacant stare than a directed one. In my post, I gave more detailed sharpness to the eyes as well as punched up the tonal balance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back