Waiting

VaE39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well thanks to all of the help from tpf, I decided to just save up for a little longer and invest in a used d80 instead of settling with the d40. I hear theres going to be a new replacement for the d80 coming out soon, is that true? and if so, should I just wait until the replacement comes out and buy a used d80 to make it a little cheaper.

If anything - theyll just update the D80 (D80x) - how, dunno. But rumors usually get started by folks who REALLY want the rumor to be true, so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. If anything I would suspect that a D3 is the next camera to debut - and definitely not a replacement for the D80.

Could always go with a used D50 instead of the D40. I have read a lot of good things about that camera.

I had it, and it was a cracker-jack of a camera. I'd take a D80 of course, but for the price that you can get a D50 AND lens for (about the same as a new D40) makes it a VERY attractive deal. The D50 is hardly useless, and while it may be rendered "obsolete" by newer models, its functionality is superb.

You do know that when that next D80 update comes out there will be another one after that so why not wait for that one or the next one or the one after that???. I think playing the waiting game with any electronics is such a waste of time. Find a model you like and get it no regrets forget the waiting and dive in.

Have a look in the digital discussions sub forum. There's a topic like this one there. Should he buy a 30D or wait for a rumored 40D.

I say why wait. There will always be a better camera. There will always be advancements. There will always be price drops. If you are going to sit and wait for the best technology to come down in price, then you may as well give up as there is always a new camera coming out. Just like the thread in this forum on the rumour that Nikon is working on a D3x, of course they are releasing a camera doesn't mean the company sells up and fires their R&D department :)

I recently waited to grab an item - and when I decided I could live with the price of it - turned around and it was gone. Same with this kind of stuff - wait too long, and all those good deals will disappear. If you do save a lil scratch (and realistically, if you can afford a D40x, you can wait another month and grab a D80 on the cheap - B&H has them all the time for 800 - no lens, but you can slap a 50MM on there cheap - so at most 900 to get up and running) youll have a camera that should definitely last you for YEARS (if you just have no interest in upgrading) - I dont know much about camera technology, and what they could possibly toss into the D80 to make me want to get the next step up; when I had the D50, and tried someones D80 on a vacation overseas - I was immediately stunned and knew I needed to get this at some point, because it did offer a step up over what the D50 was.

Just take the plunge and become "one of us. . .one of us!"

Thanks guys. I think I'm gonna take the plunge and get the d80 body from bhphoto. Then hopefully get a cheap lens to start off. any recommendations? I'll keep you updated.

What's "cheap" to you. I'd say get the 50MM f1.8 (either from B&H or local - locals usually have it for 80bucks, Ive even seen 60) - but I've been looking at the 17-70MM 2.8-4 Sigma, unfortunately its not priced very competitively on B&H (which is surprising).

Eventually though you're going to want a few lenses to fill out your focal length needs. My wishlist:

Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 for general use and wide angle.
50MM f/1.8 for close indoor use.
Sigma 105 f/2.8 for macro use.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is cheaper overall (lower shipping) has memory, plus a PCPhoto subscription which I would rather have than a cheap bag and tripod.

Or this for about the same as what you wanted to get, except no memory stick (which you can get cheap locally - especially if you're getting the 1giger), but you get a 28-80MM lens instead, which gives you a semi "wide" angle, plus a nice telephoto. Obviously its not the greatest lens in the world (6 years old), but it would be nice to start off with, a nice "total" package until you save up for that 300 dollar 17-70 (wink/wink).

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do NOT ebay camera bodies or lenses for Nikon. Canon maybe, but Nikon keeps close look on where bodies are destined to and if you end up with one that happens to have a Chinese or European serial no, it won't matter that it's a legit Nikon camera you will get NO warrenty.

As for lenses the cheap kit lenses are a good start. 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 or 18-55mm are a good start.

The two I linked were US factory demos (although I guess that doesn't preclude them from using a foreign body. . .or maybe it does - who knows).

Ouch, I guess ebay is out of the picture for now. I'm not willing to take the risk of non US serial number with no warranty. Thanks Garbz.
I did notice that the link I put up didn't offer the warranty on it. But ands' link did. Hmmm...

The first one you linked to had a 1-year store warranty on it, and indeed the two I linked to are from Cameta Cameras - definitely not a fly-by-night operation (they have a website if you want to check out more information on them). You can always ask if a product has a warranty on it before placing a winning bid (the one you linked to is gone). Just use common sense and read the posting carefully, if it doesnt say something assume it dont have it.

Most reactions

Back