Wal-Mart ever not let you print your own pictures?

Flatland2D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I still get most of my prints done at Wal-Mart and CVS. Wal-Mart has this policy where they won't print pictures taken by a professional photographer without a release, EVEN if they just look professional.

Wal-Mart refused to give me my prints once. They wanted to see the "originals" on the CF card so they could verify their authenticity. I tried explaining to the lady that even if I brought my card back in (left it in the car and didn't want to go get it) that there is no way she could tell if I took them or not. She insisted that they could tell. I felt like telling her, "Don't argue with a kid about technology" (I'm 23 and married, not really a kid anymore, but I grew up on this stuff). So when I finally bring the card back (actually my lovely wife did while I was having this conversation), the lady looked at the files, verified they were not a picture of a picture, and sold me my prints.

I know they are just looking out for the pro's, whom I'm sure get ripped off a lot, but Wal-Mart's policy just seems a bit ridiculous. Without a watermark on the picture, anyone could make up a fake studio and sign a release on the pictures. I just don't get how they think they're helping by doing that. I guess they're just trying to cover themselves in the event someone does break the law.

I know I should feel proud that Wal-Mart thought so highly of my backyard portraits, but I don't like having to prove myself everytime I want some prints.

Anyone else have an experience like this?

Never happened to me, but I've heard similar stories. That's why I do my picture ordering online. Don't have to leave the house and the quality is usually better anyway.

Definitely a nice little ego boost for you though. :)

I think that a little inconvenience for a few people is more than worth protecting pro's from having their livelyhood stolen. Besides what the heck are you doing printing that kind of work at wally-world anyway. I can't see any of my work that I would have such disregard for enough that I would take it there.

I think that a little inconvenience for a few people is more than worth protecting pro's from having their livelyhood stolen. Besides what the heck are you doing printing that kind of work at wally-world anyway. I can't see any of my work that I would have such disregard for enough that I would take it there.

Actually the Fuji system is generally OK if maintained correctly. And Fuji is under contract to do that work. I don't think I would print wedding package or decent portrait package there, but for general prints it's OK.

No, I have not had issues like this, infact I am constantly hearing about how I should be working for the press, Never have I been asked to verify authentisity of my own images.

Did you mention that the EXIF data was still embedded in the jpgs with or with out the CF card?

I don't know about other cameras but mine lets me put in copyright info that's placed in the EXIF on every shot I take.

Having said that I really don't like some of the results that wallyworld gets and if I need really quick prints I go to Wolf/Ritz. On line is better though.

Actually the Fuji system is generally OK if maintained correctly. And Fuji is under contract to do that work. I don't think I would print wedding package or decent portrait package there, but for general prints it's OK.

ACtually, even being a former Ritz employee I have discontinued taking my photos there because of quality control issues. I have found that the quality that I get from Mpix is far superior to anything RItz can do. I do agree that Ritz will surpass any other 1 hour lab though. But I digress we were on another topic.

ACtually, even being a former Ritz employee I have discontinued taking my photos there because of quality control issues. I have found that the quality that I get from Mpix is far superior to anything RItz can do. I do agree that Ritz will surpass any other 1 hour lab though. But I digress we were on another topic.

The other great thing about Mpix (where I have all my printing done) is how fast they get it out to me... I mean, they have a QUICK turnaround, and I know I am not going to end up with a lot of bizarre color problems with them since they actually know what they are doing.

The other great thing about Mpix (where I have all my printing done) is how fast they get it out to me... I mean, they have a QUICK turnaround, and I know I am not going to end up with a lot of bizarre color problems with them since they actually know what they are doing.

We agree again!!!...

the 18-200 must not be involved LOL....

I'm actually glad Wal-Mart and Sam's (where I do my generic printing) look out for my work. I had a recent issue where they ask for my ID before they released the prints to me because of my watermark. They had written "Copy Protected by Photographer" on the print sleeve.

I do think that the person arguing with you about your shots without the watermark is a little frustrating but i don't see how she could not sell them to you without you producing the card. Just ask her to show you that policy the next time (in writing) because if you took the shot, you own the copyright. Who is she to question that? Tell her that you're flattered but hand over the prints, produce the policy or call the MOD.

Even though it's frustrating... didn't you feel good later thinking; "She thought these were pro's shots"? :eek:)

I certainly was flattered about them thinking they were pro shots. And, I don't have any problem with them protecting copyrights. I'm just baffled by how they think they're going to enforce such policy, and the lady's certainty about knowing if they were "fake" or not. We all know there are a hundred ways to get around that if you were so inclinced. I know the argument I was making wasn't helping my cause (that the pics were mine), but I had to find out how they were going to deal with the situation.

I checked out Mpix earlier today and will give them a try soon. The reason I've been going to CVS/Wal-Mart is that they are the closest one hour photoshops to me, and they are still 30 minutes away. I live out in the country.

I checked out Mpix earlier today and will give them a try soon. The reason I've been going to CVS/Wal-Mart is that they are the closest one hour photoshops to me, and they are still 30 minutes away. I live out in the country.

If you are going to stick with any of the two for prints of lesser quality requirements I would advise Wal-Mart, The company that handles CVS's prints (here at least) sucks seriously bad.

What the!?! Professionals take their photos to walmart?

:raisedbrow:

I live in Australia. I have never shopped there. But I already want to beat walmart employees with a stick. (not the underpaid staff, or the photo personnel, or the geek squad who steal data from computers.... wait a minute!!!! That's it. This policy is to stop their own staff printing photos they found on other peoples computers during a service... somehow I doubt it'll work) but the management staff that make these decisions.

All the Americans out there, stick it to the man. Go in and print your finest photos as 12x18" about 10 of them. And walk out without signing a release :D.

"I think that a little inconvenience for a few people is more than worth protecting pro's from having their livelyhood stolen."

Is WalMart liable if someone "steal photographs"?

I do not use Walmart, but based on this thread I will never use them now.

I only print my own junk which noone will ever mistake for professional work. BUT I do not like the idea of Walmart policing my pictures. If they are concerned about lawsuits, they should just have you sign a release form confirming that you own rights to picture - they can have this built into their credit card signature thing.

In regards to quote ... you can not inconvenience the innocent to protect the few (pro). To protect the small percentage of pro (1% or less?), Walmart inconvenience the general public.

I've only used WalMart once to print pictures quickly when I was out and couldn't get to my printer, but they had to stop me and ask if it was taken by a professional and I told them I took it and they let me have the picture. Made my day that they thought a picture I took was a professional picture.

Most reactions

Back