Walgreens development

Oasis196

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi all. I recently bought a Nikon N90s to join my Nikonos. I thought I’d check how well it works. I took a test roll to Walgreens.

I received a set of prints and a CD. The jpegs were small...1 meg. And they were super grainy. I shot Kodak 400 mainly outdoors. The files on the CD were so weak.

Anyway. Question: anyone else suffer at Walgreens. I don’t plan to go back as they also don’t give back negatives.

hi all. I recently bought a Nikon N90s to join my Nikonos. I thought I’d check how well it works. I took a test roll to Walgreens.

I received a set of prints and a CD. The jpegs were small...1 meg. And they were super grainy. I shot Kodak 400 mainly outdoors. The files on the CD were so weak.

Anyway. Question: anyone else suffer at Walgreens. I don’t plan to go back as they also don’t give back negatives.
Same experience.

I use www.thedarkroom.com to process my film. I like several things about them:

1. They are pretty quick.
  2. They post your images online for your private access until your images come back in the mail.
  3. You get back the negatives, and a photo disc.
  4. They know what they are doing.
Downside: expense. They say they'll do a 36 exposure roll for 11.00 but if you upgrade the scanning resolution its a bit more and then there's postage. Usually ends up costing me closer to $20.00. If I had more patience than money, I could forego the upcharge on the scanning and do it myself when the negatives come home!

Worth it to me. They are all I'm currently using. My latest roll hasn't returned in the mail, but I pulled this guy off my online gallery: Dude! Did you bring, like, a broom?

Well, you did the film test and Walgreens failed! Seriously, drugstore developing is hit or miss - mostly miss. Look for a photolab near you or try one of the online services such as The Darkroom. (I've never used them as I process my own film but the seem to have a good reputation.)

The advantage of a local lab is that if you've having problems with the negs, often they can offer some helpful advice. After all, they want to keep you coming back!

Well, you did the film test and Walgreens failed! Seriously, drugstore developing is hit or miss - mostly miss. Look for a photolab near you or try one of the online services such as The Darkroom. (I've never used them as I process my own film but the seem to have a good reputation.)

The advantage of a local lab is that if you've having problems with the negs, often they can offer some helpful advice. After all, they want to keep you coming back!
You are right- if I had confidence in someone local- that would be handy. My online folks have been remarkably good so far tho...

Thanks all. The Darkroom is on my radar. So too is a local shop. Likely will try both.

My plan is mainly B&W. And do it all myself. But color seems like a little way out.

In my area, film development at drug/discount stores has always been inconsistent at best or downright lousy. There's no camera store anymore near me so I've used The Darkroom and lately, Dwayne's Photo in Somewhere, Kansas. I like that I get wet prints done in chemistry from them (or can, you can choose your options).

edit - Had to look it up - Parsons, Kansas. Make sure you fill out and pay for return shipping to get your negatives back. I've been pleased with what I get from them, everything from prints to proof sheets.

The advantage of a local lab is that if you've having problems with the negs, often they can offer some helpful advice.

Also in the case of the lab where I work, we use a Noritsu V50 C-41 processor that is control striped monitored for consistent development every time. I love my job!

"Also in the case of the lab where I work, we use a Noritsu V50 C-41 processor that is control striped monitored for consistent development every time. "

That's EXACTLY the kind of lab you need!

As everyone here has mentioned, local labs are the way to go. If you post your location people may be able to offer suggestions on who to go to. I have used both local labs here in Philly with great results. These guys are around the corner from me and do great work. They still do all my color processing but ultimately I do all the BW at home including scanning. Decent scanners are far cheaper than they once were and if you shoot a lot of film it may simply be worth it to buy one and start scanning at home. Most labs have a "process only" deal for color film then you can take it home and scan it.

If you are in the south jersey/north DE/ Philly area Id be happy to show you how to process BW film.

Most reactions

Back