Walk around camera

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Question for everyone, I own 2 D3's. Problem is that I only use these for sports / assignment. Last week I went to a buddy's wedding. In no way was I going to bring a pro body, 24-70 with a sb-900 on it. Tonight I did a polar express train ride with my two daughters. I used my iphone 5s and Im completely unhappy with the end results.

Im looking into the Nikon 1 J3, what does everyone use? When I win the lotto Ill buy a Leica M9 but until then looking for a good walk around camera, interchangeable lens and manual shooting.

Question for everyone, I own 2 D3's. Problem is that I only use these for sports / assignment. Last week I went to a buddy's wedding. In no way was I going to bring a pro body, 24-70 with a sb-900 on it. Tonight I did a polar express train ride with my two daughters. I used my iphone 5s and Im completely unhappy with the end results. Im looking into the Nikon 1 J3, what does everyone use? When I win the lotto Ill buy a Leica M9 but until then looking for a good walk around camera, interchangeable lens and manual shooting.
You ever think about a d700 without the grip? It's not that big. Or maybe a d7000 or d7100 or even a d5100. I've taken a d90 & d700 without a grip and fast glass and have done well when I need shots in lower light conditions and don't wanna draw attention.

Yes I have thought about that but Im looking for something small. Ill use to use a d7000 with a 50 f1.8. Im interested in the Nikon 1 J3 but I dont believe there are manual controls. Seems kinda cool with the different lens but what good is it if you can't control what you are doing. One of few things I like about Canon is that they have the eos-M which takes L series lens. I wish Nikon would come up with something like that.

Yes I have thought about that but Im looking for something small. Ill use to use a d7000 with a 50 f1.8. Im interested in the Nikon 1 J3 but I dont believe there are manual controls. Seems kinda cool with the different lens but what good is it if you can't control what you are doing. One of few things I like about Canon is that they have the eos-M which takes L series lens. I wish Nikon would come up with something like that.

You need an EF lens mount adaptor. Nikon does offer that for its smaller camera( I forget the name but people use it for birding with longer f mount lenses)

Really, if you or anyone knows more please let me know. I'd be very interested in learning more.
Canon has a really nice pancake lens like a 40mm f2.8 Nikon doesn't have a pancake lens that I'm aware of

I know seems like I'm praising canon but I'm a Nikon guy.

Olympus Pen would fit the bill, with either the 14 f2.5 or 17 1.8. Panasonic lacks the really good IBIS of the Olympus, but the newest has built-in EVF.

Last edited:
Look at my signature, for times I dont feel like schleping around my D7100 I use my Canon G15

Great camera for times I feel like going light weight.

Canon G16 just replaced this camera but they are very close in their hardware so either one will be good.

I would have brought the D2, 24-70, sb900 to the wedding myself :)

Bought a fuji x100s. Perfect for me. I dont really need to zoom in. I just want to document my kids and take some scenic shots.

Whoops! Just saw you picked one. That's what I get for posting before coffee:

My only issue is if you have a Ferrari why drive a Corvette? After the holidays I'm gonna go to Adorama or another camera store n play with the Fuji. I really like the interchangeable lens.

Thanks for all the help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back