Walk Around Lens

lennon33x

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently got rid of my 18-55 mm EF-S lens (as I eventually would like to upgrade to FF). I'm looking to replace it with something that has been reliable (I'm not over looking at used on ebay.) I was looking at the 24-85, the 28-105, and the 30-85 Canon lenses. I'm looking to get a good deal and am really not wanting to spend $400. I would just like to upgrade. Tokina, Tamron and Sigma are all options too.

Your thoughts?

All of them too long on the wide angle side on APS-C, for my taste.
The first two would be ok on FF (not sure about quality - reviews however tend to average quality). The third does not exist; if you meant 35-80, it should be the same league or worst than the 18-55. All are old lenses, no one is a real upgrade (28-105 might be, on FF).
When I upgraded I went for Tamron 17-50/2.8 VC, but is not FF compliant.

I've taken thousands of photos with the Sigma 18-250mm macro on my 7D and 50D and its never let me down. Here's a link to a used one:

http://www.keh.com/camera/Canon-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DC09999107275J?r=FE

It won't work on a full frame camera though. I have a few lenses for the full frame 6D. The Canon 24-105mm L lens is not a particularly good lens in my observation. It seems just a bit soft to me and to others. I also have a Tamron 28-300 macro. I don't care much for it either. It doesn't like to focus in low light. The Sigma 12-24mm wide angle lens is excellent but has limited usage being a wide angle. My advice is this...if you don't desperately need excellent low light, high ISO performance for some reason then stick to an APSC camera. The lens selection is much better.

I've been using a 28mm prime as my walk-around lens on a crop Canon for the last two years - don't overlook a prime lens as a possible lightweight, fast, high quality and relatively affordable lens to keep on your camera. And, of course, full-frame compatible as all Canon's prime lenses are.

However, wanting a little more versatility and a stabilised lens, I've just ordered Sigma's 17-70mm f/2.8-4 Contemporary and am looking forward to trying that as my walk-around. (Obviously the 17-70mm a crop-body-only lens).

(edited) I should have noted I was responding to "iolar" to let him know he will enjoy the 17-70 he just purchased. He will enjoy it. I upgraded to a 7D because most my lenses are crop and I found a good deal on "Refurbished". Going to FF I would recommend a similar range. Someday......(sigh)

I have had the Sigma's 17-70mm f/2.8-4 for quite quite a while now. It is one of my favorites. I am generally outdoors and find it gives me the range I need for great landscape shots. I find the image quality to be very good and with my 7D the beginning f2.8 will usually give me ISO 100 in the morning hours. I keep an EF S 70-300mm Canon along with me for the wildlife shots when the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
I use the 17-70 as my walk around lens too.

The 28-135 and the 28-105 are probably the best standard full frame general purpose walkaround lenses from Canon.
Other companies (Tamron, Sigma, etc.) may have cheaper and more versatile options, though. Haven't looked into them much.

Not sure why people keep recommending crop only lenses...

If you want really wide, I suggest a separate lens for that rather than paying huge amounts of money to get one of the faster wide zooms and then just losing your long reach at the same time. The Rokinon 14mm 2.8 is indeed compatible with full frame, is not a fisheye, gets great reviews, and is only a little over $300.

Last edited:
Not sure why people keep recommending crop only lenses...

because 28mm on a crop camera is fairly long, as wide side.

No, I mean because the OP said:
I recently got rid of my 18-55 mm EF-S lens (as I eventually would like to upgrade to FF).
He has already expressed an interest in actively avoiding crop only lenses.

I have had the Sigma's 17-70mm f/2.8-4 for quite quite a while now. It is one of my favorites. I am generally outdoors and find it gives me the range I need for great landscape shots. I find the image quality to be very good and with my 7D the beginning f2.8 will usually give me ISO 100 in the morning hours. I keep an EF S 70-300mm Canon along with me for the wildlife shots when the opportunity arises.

+1 for this sigma lens, but its not for FF

The big problem is that anything that will be a good walk-around standard zoom on full-frame will not go wide enough for most people's tastes while you still have the crop.

The exceptions may be
17-40mm f/4 L - good ultrawide-to-wide on full-frame but useful wide-to-standard zoom (if not really telephoto) on crop
wide prime - 24mm, 28mm or 35mm - useful high-performing wide angle on prime, useful high-performing standard lens on crop

As I said above, I've had great experiences with using a 28mm on crop as a standard, my 'walk-around' lens, but it's also full-frame compatible and would be a nice wide angle.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a quality zoom at a bargain price I would suggest the Canon 28-70mm 2.8, its the predecessor to the 24-70 2.8 mk I and many feel its better optically.

I picked up a great copy for $650 and have been extremely happy with the images and build.

This is only one review, but I haven't seen anyone knock it.

Just a nugget for you to process in the decision making process.

The big problem is that anything that will be a good walk-around standard zoom on full-frame will not go wide enough for most people's tastes while you still have the crop.

The exceptions may be
17-40mm f/4 L - good ultrawide-to-wide on full-frame but useful wide-to-standard zoom (if not really telephoto) on crop
wide prime - 24mm, 28mm or 35mm - useful high-performing wide angle on prime, useful high-performing standard lens on crop

As I said above, I've had great experiences with using a 28mm on crop as a standard, my 'walk-around' lens, but it's also full-frame compatible and would be a nice wide angle.

Well yes, ideally he shouldn't have sold the kit lens until a full frame was actually in-hand. Especially since it only goes for like $50 probably. Buying one back again may not be a terrible option here =P

Most reactions

New Topics

Back