Wanna Be photographer W/ a D3000

tvolgirl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'll introduce myself as a complete newbie that has always wanted a DSLR, but never had the extra money to spend. Recently an old friend graciously gave me their D3000 after they upgraded, but it did not come with any lens. I have saved around $300 dollars to make a/some purchases, but not sure where I will get the best bang for my buck. I would be most thankful for any advice or suggestions. I think my main interests will be landscapes and possibly some wildlife since I live in a very rural area that has both abundantly available. Again thanks, and so glad I found this forum.

Based on the needs you describe, you would do well with the Nikkor 18-55 as your first lens purchase. This would be a good overall walk around lens and it is wide enough for some nice landscape photography. You can then purchase the Nikkor 55-200 VR zoom lens for the wildlife photography you're interested in doing and for whatever else you want to shoot with more zoom. With those two lenses you will get great focal length coverage at a great price. You can buy both lenses used for about $300. If you insist on new, then buy the 18-55 for now, then save us another couple of hundred and get the 55-200. These two lenses would be your best bang for the buck.

Agree ^^ In fact if you can find them used, you may well be able to get both of them for not a lot more than $300 for the pair.

Even better, if you are in the US, you can get the 18-55 and the 55-300 from KEH used with a 6 month warranty for 290 plus shipping... or the 18-55 and the 55-200 (VR) for 185

Buy used lenses from KEH.com, yes.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Checking out KEH tonight.

Nikon 35mm 1.8g and nikon 50mm 1.8g are the best bang for bucks lens IMO. My 35mm stayed on my d3000 when I purchased it and my kit lens never left the bag again.

The note above from Geaux has highlighted two very nice lenses.

I see that Adorma has the 35mm 1.8G for $165, used, but the 50mm 1.4 is listed at $379, used.

Either of these are very good, but you don't have the cash for both of them now.

So costalconn's post above gives you the biggest bang for your buck.

Check out Adorama's refurbished section online. I've gotten all of my stuff there for 70% of the original cost and they're all in perfect shape!

Most reactions

Back