Wanna Make $100,000 a year?

Aren't their some nice career openings in unathorized pharmaceutical sales and delivery? And some high-paying jobs in sports- and horse- and dog-performance contest wagering and predictive outcome prognostication? Pretty sure none of those require advanced degrees...

The job market is changing faster today than it ever has, making it a crap shoot to pick a college major that will have long term traction traction.
Young people should expect to go to college 2 or 3 times and have 5 or more 'careers'.

Young people could be facing a life of constantly being burdened with lots of education debt.

There are jobs that 1. need no degree and 2. you will not have to change you career path 5 or 6 times and still make good money.

Every one wants clean water coming into their house so plumbers aren't going anywhere.

People want the crap, literally their crap gone from their house so septic and sewer works aren't going anywhere.

People want heat in the winter and cool in the summer so HVAC technicians aren't going anywhere.

People want their lights to turn on and off with out burning the house down. Electricians aren't going anywhere.

They may not be glamorous jobs but if you have had to call any of the above recently you know that they are making good money. The need for college will recede in the future as we are more and more becoming a service driven society.

Last edited:
what a lot of older people don't understand about younger people is that we feel that there is value in doing something that we want to be doing, and we feel that this should be accounted for as well.

Sorry man, that’s another fallacy promogulated by my generation. My parents had first had knowledge of the great depression, they knew what real hardship was. Life for them was not so much about happiness as it was working to make sure they never had to endure it again. Then we came along, once removed from that life, and we just couldn’t believe our parents knew what they were talking about. When we hit college, we were free from the gloom and doom mentality of work hard and save. We became the promoters of the free love, if it feels good do it mentality. We believed the crap until we graduated, and the realities of life smacked us in the face. Fortunately, we still had the words of our parents ringing in our ears and quickly realized the great Nirvana Society was false and our hopes of Xanadu were dashed.

We put our heads down and went to work, vowing to make life better for our kids and grandkids, which brings us to the present. The generations today are even further removed from what hardship really is, they erroneously believe that life will be good regardless of their actions.

You can get off your high horse already. Millennial work more hours for less pay and we take fewer vacation time than any other generation in history. We're left with a four trillion dollar repair bill (and that's just for the highways and bridges) and we're expected to pay your retirement as part of a social contract that we never agreed to and will not likely benefit from.

So yeah. Forgive us if we value the time spent paying for your winter condo in Florida.

life_of_a_college_student.jpg

Millennial work more hours for less pay and we take fewer vacation time than any other generation in history.

False. My great grandparents worked 10 hours a day, 6 days a week and did not get vacations. They also started doing so at a much younger age. My grandparents worked 8 hours a days 6 days a week. Neither did so by choice, that was the way it was if you wanted a job and wanted to live. Nor did they have sick time or sick pay. You worked or you didn't get paid and risked loosing your job. They didn't have college loans to pay off, but then they didn't have either the time or the money to go to college. In my great grandparents day 1/3 of the labor force was between 10 and 15 years of age. For my grandparents if fell to 25% of the work force between 10 and 15 years of age. If you want to talk about farming the number for both generations was 2/3rds of the labor force were between 10 and 15 years of age.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/d3/87/57/d38757247db83a49f1f6cffefa4f2856.jpg
I will say that the Millennials have done an excellent job of exacerbating the work martyr concept by their own choice.

Solution!

Millennial work more hours for less pay and we take fewer vacation time than any other generation in history

What exactly does that have to do with your statement "But that's not something I'd actually want to do, and if that means I have to pay $100/month on my student loans, then doing something I've always wanted to do is worth $1200/year" and your claim that you're willing to take less in earnings to do something you want. Isn't that the position you voluntarily put yourself in?

My comment never questioned your work ethic. Choosing to work a lower paying job with a college degree because it makes you happy, is a decision you said you made. If I understand that correctly no one forced you to make that decision. I made a decision to follow a different path using a degree as a starting point, and I can assure you that the retirement I enjoy was self funded, because I chose a route that provided for my an end goal.

Who actually cares about generalizations on any topic? Generalizations are as true as they are false, as easily defensible as they are to attack.

Besides it's all about quality of life.

It's always amazing how certain people are in their opinions about their generation compared to the ones before or after it, and how little evidence they actually have to support any of those opinions. And yet, the spouting continues...

As for a college education, don't expect them to go away any time soon just because there's some job growth in the service industry. Sure, there is the potential for high salaries in those fields, but a person is more likely to earn those top salaries if they have even a 2-year degree.

And general education requirements aren't going anywhere either. I know it's oh-so-popular to disparage the value of these courses, but again, most lay criticisms are thrown out without any evidence to prove the supposed uselessness of the courses.

It is not about money, but quality of life. (Lol). (Personally and Generally, lol, I don't think college should be about earning money. College should be about learning. College should be about chasing your desires and interests. College should be about advancing knowledge and the arts. If one can combine love of a major with employment then more power to you. That is called upping your quality of life.)

Millennial College Graduates: Young, Educated, Jobless
More College Grads Finding Work, But Not in the Best Jobs
College Graduates Struggle to Find Employment Worth a Degree
‘I don’t know what to do with my major’ and other reasons college grads can’t find jobs
So Long, Middle Class: Middle-Income Jobs Are Disappearing the Fastest

Colleges will not go away, but change in their education model, who and how they educate are inevitable in our more rapidly evolving society. Drs. Bruce K. Blaylock, Tal Zarankin, and Dale A. Henderson wrote an excellent article on the subject of restructuring the learning environment in the college system of education.
The Higher Education Teaching and Learning Portal | Restructuring Colleges in Higher Education around Learning

I don't think college should be about earning money.

Hate to disagree with you but, with total costs from $10- $100k per academic year (depending on the school), you better believe it's about the money. Sorry, I saw a lot of job applicants come in my door over the years with useless degrees, I for one believe encouraging a young person "to expand their horizon" with a degree that's totally unmarketable, while emptying (theirs & their parents) pocket of thousands of dollars, is wrong.

It is not about money, but quality of life. (Lol). (Personally and Generally, lol, I don't think college should be about earning money. College should be about learning. College should be about chasing your desires and interests. College should be about advancing knowledge and the arts. If one can combine love of a major with employment then more power to you. That is called upping your quality of life.)

I understand your point. I used to agree with it more, but recently, I've been changing my mind. College is certainly about all those things, but for it to be only that is a luxury for most people. Gone are the days when college served to create well-rounded individuals fit for polite society. It's much more utilitarian these days. The fact is, there is room for both purposes.

I think it's disingenuous to think of a person's degree as "useless" because it doesn't fit into the job description. Inappropriate for the context, perhaps, in some cases, but not useless.

Most reactions

Back