Want critique of my photos

jatomlinson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday I applied to become a contributor on istockphoto and was denied. They had asked for three photos and the following is one that I sent them (for some reason the form isn't letting me post more than one?). They didn't give me a reason, just a bunch of material to read (which I did and thought these photos complied with). What I want is an honest critique of these photos. They're taken with a Cannon SX40 HS. Please don't take or modify these photos.

Thanks

IMG_0131.jpg

A wee bit flat. There is little tonal separation between the girl's face and the background. What was the color of the background and how did you convert this?

relatively cute shot... but one that would only have interest to someone emotionally invested in the child. There is no eye contact, no captivating expression on the child's face. The lighting is harsh and contrasting, and her face is badly in need of fill light... much darker than it should be. The stains or dirt on the jacket sleeve would also be a negative to someplace picky about what photos they accept...since it adds nothing to the shot.

As was mentioned... your B&W conversion lacks authority. It is muddy.. no really true blacks and whites, almost just grey scale.

It was the black and white setting on the camera that I used. Do you suggest using Photoshop to convert it to black and white instead of using that filter on the camera? Here's another that I had sent them in my application. I would also appreciate critique on it as well.

$2.jpg

Yes, I do. When you use the b/w setting in camera, you're pretty much throwing out a significant amount of data. I had a professor say you only get 1/3 the data, but in reality it's much more than that.

I like using channel mixer for b/w conversion.

Thanks. I'll just shoot in color from now on. Do you have anything to say about using other color modes in the camera, such as vivid mode that pumps up the color? Is that best done in Photoshop as well?

I used photoshop to add contrast. Is this more of a true bw color?
$bw.jpg

Is Photo Pro free? I have Adobe Photoshop, which is what I use in my graphic design business.

No but it's fairly cheap. I only paid $40 but there are several version beyond "3". If you have photoshop, you're better off then I

If you like, I'll post what the one step fix came up with.

Last edited:
Well. Hmm. Typically I suggest shooting RAW, though out of box that is not possible.

So if JPEG is your only option, there are real advantages to getting it right in camera, even for b/w. Using a red filter, for example, will help with the skin tones and tonal separation.

As for color modes, it's hard for me to say. If you are trying to maximize data, traditionally you'd use the most saturated film, scan it in, and remove saturation. But with digital, the camera basically is pushing the data, so I don't think this technique would really apply - high saturation modes may blow channels.

With JPEG being your only option, getting it as close as you want in camera is probably your best bet. However, using b/w filters as if you're shooting film might be taking this to an extreme. The results will be better, but you'll give up flexibility.

It was the black and white setting on the camera that I used. Do you suggest using Photoshop to convert it to black and white instead of using that filter on the camera? Here's another that I had sent them in my application. I would also appreciate critique on it as well.

Everything I said for the other image hold true for this one also... no eye contact, expression is meh, lighting is harsh and contrasty! Look at the shadows on the fence, they are terrible. Busy background on this is bad also. Snapshot....no real thought put into it. They mean something to you, since this is probably your child.

It is always better to shoot in color and then convert to grayscale. color preserves more info and detail. the second one you posted where you added contrast in photoshop came out much better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back