Want new zoom lens, torn on choices. Help!

Rob_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking to get a new lens for zoom, and I'm currently torn between two choices (listed below):

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200m...UTF8&coliid=I2LKU90XLG469M&colid=OGU9B79UUXR6

and

Amazon.com: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Now why am I choosing between and L and a non L? Well I did some research and the L lens appears to be a much older lens. Why I'm torn is because I'm not sure if an older model L lens is going to have less quality than newer model lenses. Any suggestions? I'd say my price range is maybe a max of $700. My main reason for a zoom lens is because I often find myself looking to take pictures from a far, (zoo, moon, etc). Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Those are two incredibly different quality lenses. The 70-200 wins hands down if image quality is important to you. The 70-300 is decent, but definitely not the quality of L glass even if it's older L glass.
What are you using this lens to shoot?

The 70-200 may be better optically, although I'm not convinced that the difference would be significant beyond the pixel-peeping magnifications, but in a situation where you really need IS or where you really need the 300 mm focal length, the 70-300 will be better.

Go with the 70-200. It has a constant aperture all the way to 200mm... and it's an L lens.

Thanks, I was really teetering on the L myself. What would taking a shot of the moon look like on a 200mm? I'm not looking for super close up amazing detail, just good enough to look good should I take a picture of the night sky.

you can get a pretty detailed shot. We're not talking see the flag or anything, but you can definitely see the craters and so forth.

One thing I'd like to point out. The front element of the EF 70-300mm IS lens rotate when focus. So if you are planning to use a circular polarizer, it will work, but you need to re-adjust it after focus.

Another one you can take a look is the new Tamron 70-300mm VC lens.

As far as sharpest goes, the L lens is better especially for border sharpness.

If I am going to choose

70-200mm f/4L > Tamron 70-300mm VC > EF 70-300mm IS

Of course, cost wise, Tamron is the cheapest.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back