sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to purchase a 50mm f/1.8 AF-S lens for my Nikon D5100.
I would also consider the Sigma equivalent (if there is one), but it does need to be the AF-S equivalent.

Also planning to purchase some Kenko extension tubes; keeping a lookout on Ebay for these, as I don't care about buying them new and I'm not in a huge hurry for them. But if anyone has some they want to sell, I do like "supporting" my fellow TPF'ers instead of random strangers on Ebay (not that ya'll aren't all technically strangers, as well...some of you are REALLY strange!). :lol:

At some point, I'm also going to want a zoom lens, 55-200, 55-300, 70-300...I'm flexible, as long as it's AF-S. BUT, the zoom lens would have to be a good enough deal to make me decide to buy that right now *instead* of the Kenko tubes. Can't do both right now.

As long as I'm at it, I'm also looking for a good tripod, $100-125 range, Giotti or something along those lines.

Can you tell I want to buy things?? ;) So, if you've got some decent Nikon DX stuff you're looking to off-load, now's your chance!

You don't want to buy much do you,
I recently got the 35mm 1.8 for £180 and am pleased with it. Your always going to want new equipment just try and learn one piece of equipment at a time, I have said to myself that I won't spend anything over £50 on one item this year.

Haha, yeah, looks like I'm diving right in over my head, doesn't it? :lol: And I didn't even mention I'm buying a flash...

I recently finished a big contract job and my plan all along was to put about half of that money into new equipment for myD5100, which I bought last August and so far have only been able to afford small things, like an extra battery, for.

Only the flash and the 50 prime would be anything I'd really need to "learn." And, actually I've used a 50mm prime lens before, but it's been several years, and it was on a film SLR, not a digital one. I've used manual focus zooms on my camera before, and used a newer zoom lens on my sister's D90. I've also borrowed her extension tubes and experimented with them, so I have a decent grasp of how to use them.

And the tripod...well, it's a tripod, lol. I have a cheap Targus one from Walmart that I used for my point and shoot, but I need something better. But if you've been doing photography as long as I have and can't even figure out a tripod...well, it's time to put down the camera and take up knitting. :lol:

Yer I know what it's like, I have a d3100 and one the day I purchased it I spent about £800. I haven't even got a flash yet. Have you considered the 35mm prime, I prefer it just because of the focal length. I'm never happy with what I got that's why I have got to stop myself!

I don't believe there is a Sigma equivalent for 1.8, but there is a 1.4 which might be out of your price range (judging by looking for a 1.8).

I don't believe there is a Sigma equivalent for 1.8, but there is a 1.4 which might be out of your price range (judging by looking for a 1.8).

Yeah, the Sigma 1.4 is out of my price range, given what else I want to get right now. I knew I hadn't *seen* a Sigma 1.8, but wasn't sure if I was just missing it or if there isn't one. I'm good with the Nikon 50mm 1.8, though...if I could find the thing in stock somewhere! KEH claims to have it, and if I don't find it used soon, I may check and see if they really do have it in stock.

Yer I know what it's like, I have a d3100 and one the day I purchased it I spent about £800. I haven't even got a flash yet. Have you considered the 35mm prime, I prefer it just because of the focal length. I'm never happy with what I got that's why I have got to stop myself!

Eventually I want both the 35mm and 50mm prime, but I like to do close-up nature stuff and I think I'll get more use out of the 50. I *almost* bought a 35mm because it was a great deal, but never heard from the guy and then he apparently sold it to someone else instead. If I found another great deal like that, I'd buy the 35.

And also the kenko tubes are about £150, I got some non-brand autofocus tubes for £40 of eBay and I'm pretty happy with them.

I definitely want the Kenko, or at the very least the Zeikos extension tubes. Yes, the Kenko are a good bit more money, but from everything I've read, and considering the amount of close-up/macro I like to do, I'd rather get the best quality I can, short of buying a true macro lens.

I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens that I never, never use and I read your post with some interest but then it finally dawned on me that you need the AF-S lens.

Jerry

Yeah, the Sigma 1.4 is out of my price range, given what else I want to get right now. I knew I hadn't *seen* a Sigma 1.8, but wasn't sure if I was just missing it or if there isn't one. I'm good with the Nikon 50mm 1.8, though...if I could find the thing in stock somewhere! KEH claims to have it, and if I don't find it used soon, I may check and see if they really do have it in stock.
Just checked Adorama and have it in my cart waiting to checkout. I mean, I don't wanna push you over the edge on buying it right now, but... *whistles*

Just checked Adorama and have it in my cart waiting to checkout. I mean, I don't wanna push you over the edge on buying it right now, but... *whistles*
The Sigma 35 f/1.4, or the Nikon 50 f/1.8? I just *can't* go to the 1.4 right now--wish I could!!--and when I checked Adorama, it said the 50 1.8 was backordered from the manufacturer; otherwise, yeah, I'd bite!

If you're buying that 35 1.4...you got a 35 1.8, or a 50 you want to sell me?? ;)

I have a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 lens that I never, never use and I read your post with some interest but then it finally dawned on me that you need the AF-S lens.

Jerry

Well, THAT's a bummer!! That's what I'm hoping though, is someone will see this and realize they have one they just never use...

Oops, meant the 1.8. And I didn't scroll down far enough to see the back order part. Oops again. But, I don't think everyone is out of stock. Bedford and Camcor seem to have some, at least not listing they're out of it. Go and check, we won't judge if you buy it now. ;)

Oops, meant the 1.8. And I didn't scroll down far enough to see the back order part. Oops again. But, I don't think everyone is out of stock. Bedford and Camcor seem to have some, at least not listing they're out of it. Go and check, we won't judge if you buy it now. ;)

Ha, I may just do that soon. I haven't checked Bedford or Camcor. I'm trying to at least hold out til the weekend, in hopes of finding a good deal on a used one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back