Want to get back into film photography...

OverlordXenu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I used to be pretty into film photography, but I got too busy to do it. What I mean to say is, I know the basics. Anyway, I have an old (20+ years) Miranda Sensorex, no idea which model. It's broken. I also have a Pentax K1000, also (seemingly) broken. (The light/aperture sensor doesn't seem the work, the "needle" is always in the middle...It doesn't move anymore.)

I also have around $400 to spend. I was thinking about picking up a Nikon FM10 camera, and either a Nikon 135mm lens, Nikon 35-105mm lens, or a Phoenix 70-210mm telephoto lens.

So, what should I do? I'm clueless, here.

Also, I would like to get a film scanner and forgo actual, developed prints (no room or money for a dark room, although I could see if I could use the local high school's or something, and I am pretty sure I remember how to develop B&W, which is all I shot/will shoot.) It will be nice to use up all those rolls of 100 speed tmax I have laying around.

I used to be pretty into film photography, but I got too busy to do it. What I mean to say is, I know the basics. Anyway, I have an old (20+ years) Miranda Sensorex, no idea which model. It's broken. I also have a Pentax K1000, also (seemingly) broken. (The light/aperture sensor doesn't seem the work, the "needle" is always in the middle...It doesn't move anymore.)

I also have around $400 to spend. I was thinking about picking up a Nikon FM10 camera, and either a Nikon 135mm lens, Nikon 35-105mm lens, or a Phoenix 70-210mm telephoto lens.

So, what should I do? I'm clueless, here.

Also, I would like to get a film scanner and forgo actual, developed prints (no room or money for a dark room, although I could see if I could use the local high school's or something, and I am pretty sure I remember how to develop B&W, which is all I shot/will shoot.) It will be nice to use up all those rolls of 100 speed tmax I have laying around.

Ouch, I spent just short of 200 on my neg scanner, There goes half your budget right there (although there are other alternitives). Also You will find thet you won't be able to just bypass actual processing and prints. You will still have to get the film developed in order to scan it.

as for your choice of cameras I have no input, I never used either of them, I currently use a Canon EF.

I wouldn't mind blowing near that on a scanner alone, if I can get either of the two I already own repaired cheaply, and if they are good cameras.

Where would I go to get them repaired, though?

I would stay away from the phoenix. The cost of getting the K1000 fixed might be prohibitive, although it could just be the battery. What you could do, is look on E-bay for a Pentax kit or even something like a Nikon FE with a couple of lens' for probably half of the money that you have.

It's probably just the battery...I guess I'll stop by the local drugstore and get a new one.

I'm going to go scour ebay now, thank you.

It's an LR44, it lists on CVS' site, which is one of the local drug stores. If they don't have it, there are a lot of watch shops and other drug stores.

By the way, lenses...Are there any brands I should shoot for? Avoid?

It's an LR44, it lists on CVS' site, which is one of the local drug stores. If they don't have it, there are a lot of watch shops and other drug stores.

By the way, lenses...Are there any brands I should shoot for? Avoid?

Ah good, I was a little dissapointed to find out Rite Aid did not carry mine when I needed them.

as for lenses, again I do not know :(

The needle on my K1000 sticks in the middle sometimes, it's got a fresh battery. It usually starts working again when I bang the bottom of the camera on something hard.. gotta love those old tanks. I might have to get a "new" one though if it keeps up.

I personally don't think it's the battery or it'd just be sitting on the bottom of the viewfinder.

I finally got a new battery, no dice. Still stuck in the middle. I tried banging it a few times, no luck.

Should I just give this thing up? Get a Nikon FM10 or something?

Normally I am more function than form, but that FM10 is really pretty. Is it worth $250?

Edit: What about the Canon EOS 300? I found one local (craigslist) for $60, and it has a "28-80" lens.

You don't really need the meter in the K1000. It'll still work without it.

How will I know which fstop to set?

I use the Sunny 16 rule for most of my un-metered cameras. They tell me that a hand-held meter's a good investment, but i've only used one a few times and haven't gotten the hang of it yet. If you currently shoot digi, and can read the shutter speed and f-stop info, remember what you have and use similar settings in similar situations. You'll get the hang of it.

A good seller on eBay is "thephotopia" I bought a OM-2 off of him and it didn't function correctly (I know thats bad) but I contacted him, sent it back and he sent me a new body..

He also replaces the light seals in the camera, my OM-2 looks brand new.

He has a couple OM's and AE-1's up right now, and an A-1.

I've found some deals that I think are good on ebay for the FM10 (around $50), so I think I'm going to go with that.

Would this be a good light meter? Would either of these two (1, 2) be a good flash?

Thanks again for everyone's help. :)

Edit: Actually, I think I may get an F100. The bodies aren't going for too much...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back