Want to upgrade, what to do with old D5100?

Jack2013

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys.
I've started to really get into photography since I bought my D5100 last June (2013) and will soon be enrolling in some courses to better understand photography. I've found a used D300s for £450 with a few thousand shutter actuations and was considering upgrading.

This prevents a couple of problems though:
-The price is for the body only so would probably need to keep the kit lens from the D5100
-What to do with the D5100?

So far I've only got 2783 shutter actuations and the camera is in very good condition.

What are my options here, and what would you do?

Cheers

Jack

Depends on if you can afford to keep it. If you can there is nor harm in having 2 cameras especially if you build up a lens collection and are shooting something requiring a few lens changes. If not just sell it. If you like macro that swivel screen will be a loss though

I would keep it if possible! I sold my past setup when I bought my current camera. I sold it for way too little, and not having a backup is what prevented me from sending my current camera in under warranty for a minor fix. I didn't want to be camera-less for 4-6 weeks! Had it been a major issue I would have been SOL. I would keep it in a heart beat if I didn't need the money.

Last edited:
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I can afford to keep it I was even going to give it to my Mum when I bought the 300s which means if I did ever need a backup I could probably get it back.

Cheers

Jack

You will probably find if you keep it that you will use the d300 for fast outdoor, inclement weather conditions and where you need fast focus and/or burst rates. According to tests the sensor in the d5100 should serve you better in low light and for landscape shots if you go pushing shadow recovery etc as it has more dynamic range and slightly better high iso performance

I wouldn't keep the original kit lens to use on the D300. Either let the kit lens go with the D5100, in which case it might be easier to connect with a buyer, or just keep the D5100.

At any rate, you should upgrade your lens collection to include some better glass.

Selling the D5100 should net you enough to purchase a nice lens for the D300.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

Damn, you guys have put up some really good points...

I'm inclined to keep the D5100 as a backup, as it seems I can't really get a lot for it. I would also need to buy the D300s and then a quality lens which could prove to be costly.

Designer, could you suggest a good 'day-to-day' lense for the 300s?

I still have a 55-200mm Nikkor lens which I got for a steal on Amazon, and although not amazing, serves as a good telephoto.

Cheers,

Jack

Yes, keep it. It's also helpful in those occasions when you are on one camera and a WTF issue happens and you have to check your sanity (or settings) and the second body helps in that. :)

Plus look at the resale prices for your old body. You'll probably just keep it after seeing the prices keep dropping like on my d7000.

I would keep the D5100 and forget the D300s. I would keep my money to invest in better glass. You will see a much greater quality difference by acquiring better optics than by changing between these 2 bodys.

EDIT : Actually I think the D5100 has better image quality than D300s (from numbers). The D300s offers more pro-features that I guess you won't really benefits you if you still learning your basics.

I would keep the D5100 and forget the D300s. I would keep my money to invest in better glass. You will see a much greater quality difference by acquiring better optics than by changing between these 2 bodys.

Hi there,
My main reason for switching bodies was for more control, especially as I learn more in the courses...

If you shoot sports and/or wildlife then the D300s is probably a good investment. Pretty much everything else the D5100 can handle and you'd be better served to buy higher a higher quality 17-50 f/2.8 or a couple DX primes over the D300s.

I may be mistaken because I don't own these bodies, but in term of control both can be used in complete manual mode. You cannot have more control than that!

What you can expect of the D300s is quicker access to some setting like ISO, flash settings, AF, etc. Faster frame rate, more AF points, faster AF. I cannot be more specific since I didn't even hold one of these two.

The D5100 should have better image quality, better ISO capabilities. If you combine this with better glass, with a wider aperture you can definitively achieve high quality pictures and be able to get what you want in much more difficult lighting situations.

If you point me with lenses you have and what are your interests, I could point you toward some suggestions.

That would depend on what type of photography you do or want to do. As I don't have a full-frame camera, perhaps some others will suggest some favorite lenses for you to consider.

I may be mistaken because I don't own these bodies, but in term of control both can be used in complete manual mode. You cannot have more control than that!

While that is true the D5xxx series isn't designed to be used that way while the D300s is. It can be quite cumbersome to adjust basic exposure settings on the D5xxx. I can't remember if the D5100 has the quick access custom menu? But if it does, once that is setup it makes things much easier.

That would depend on what type of photography you do or want to do. As I don't have a full-frame camera, perhaps some others will suggest some favorite lenses for you to consider.

The D300s is APS-C.

Good: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM or Nikon 16-85 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR AF-S DX
Better: Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM or Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD
Best: Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S or Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8
Bestest: Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6D EX DC HSM + Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX + Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8G + Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.8G

Just my opinion for some good affordable options in the normal range.

Most reactions

Back