Wanting Nikon D5100 for photo and video?

kingmed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
O.K. I am trying hard to make up my mind on a good camera with awesome photo and very good video quality. I have been considering the Panasonic FZ200 since it has a f2.8 25 to 600 mm lens and what I've read great video quality, however I would love to have a DSLR with a larger sensor for blowing up photo's to put on the wall or learning photography with such as the D5100. I've read different stories about the video of the D5100 that it's hard to focus and it's video quality is not very good?, having two young daughters of 9 and 13 and needing a camera with both qualities for me is a need before my girls get much older. Of you who own the D5100, how do you like the video of this camera...it doesn't have to be a perfect video camera just good video that isn't horrible or that is worth showing (if you know what I mean), since I'm not a professional and I'm not going to sell my video's it's more for me and my wife. Photo quality I realize is awesome, same as the D7000 which I wish I had the money for. Now to play the devils advocate with my self, would the Panasonic make good blow up photo's for the wall?, and would it be quality photo's where you would not tell if they were DSLR or Point and shoot? I know this may be a confusing factor but I want to best or very very best for the money, since working at Walmart I am able to try out the D5100 with the kit lense for 15 days to see if I really like the camera and video, however they do not have the Pansonic FZ200 to make any type of comparison such as blow ups. I'd appreciate any advise that you all could afford to give, I've racked my mind and have changed from the FZ150 to the FZ200 or D3100 to now getting either the Nikon D5100 or the Panasonic D5100. Thank you all.

I may be in the minority, but I can't stand using the video function of my D5100 for mainly one reason. If you want it to auto focus, you have to listen to the lens motor on the video playback. It sounds straight up terrible. However, if you're good enough to manually focus and zoom continually, then this may not be an issue. Or if you plan to just set the camera on a tripod and only focus on one area, then it should work fine.

It really depends on what you are recording and what lense you are using.

If you are trying to do artistic recording with a shallow depth of view, it will be problematic (the noise of the AF motor/having to manually focus)

I record my baby crawling around with no issues at all, because I don't need a perfect focus at a very specific distance.

The quality of the video seems pretty high, to my eye.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back