wanting to add lenses

slat

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to add some lenses. I have a canon SL1 with the kit 18-55 and 55-250. I have also purchased the EF-S 24 and EF-S 40. I was looking at a sigma 150-600 contemporary, but may hold off to see how the Tamron 150-600 G2 reviews. Was thinking canon 50 f1.4, but now wondering about the sigma 30 f1.4 and the nifty fifty for the other. I am interested in a UWA like the Canon 10-18 or the Tokina 11-16. I like the fast aperture of the Tokina. I was also thinking about something like the sigma 18-300 for a general lens so I wouldn't have to swap lenses when I'm at plays or places like that.

I like to shoot wildlife, lightning, landscapes, night scenes and family stuff.

Someone suggested that a better body like the 80D might give me some of what I'm looking for? I,m just not sure what my best option is. I have a budget of around $2000 give or take a couple hundred.

I would like thoughts and suggestions because the more I look the more I can't make up my mind.

Have you thogth about the "Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art" and the "Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art"? These two could complement one of the 150-600mm out there. Good luck!

What are your needs exactly? Where does your current setup fall short? Do you find yourself needing more or less focal Length? More light?

What for? What's the use?

Slow down. Don't buy anything yet, you already have plenty. Go out and take a ton of pictures. After a while you'll see if there's anything you really need—e.g. if you tend to crop a lot, you should get a longer lens; if you can't get everything you want in the frame / can't make the composition you want, get a wider lens; etc.

Instead of asking yourself

"what is the lens I buy next"

because that question leads to chaos, ask yourself instead

"what is the system I'm striving for in the end"

and then make a plan towards how to get there

I like to shoot wildlife, lightning, landscapes, night scenes and family stuff.

That's a wide range of subject types potentially giving reasons for multiple lenses & a new body...
For wildlife you'll probably want a longer lens (almost whatever you have, longer would be better at times!) having it fast will also help significantly. This alone could be many times your budget, and could exceed your technique (focal lengths above 250mm can be very prone to camera shake!).:eek-73:
Of course macro shots could also be part of your wildlife category, these are easiest with a dedicated lens but other options are available - which goes into a whole new topic!

Landscapes often want a wider FOV than you have available. There may be the option of stitching together multiple shots to achieve this with expense. Microsoft ICE typically does a good job even with handheld shots given enough overlap (~1/3 of the frame). You have to be careful of parallax issues & subject movement though.

Night scenes often require particularly fast lenses, though less so with newer bodies as these allow higher ISO to be used before noise becomes too much of an issue.

IMO what you have should be fine for lightning & family stuff. After dark lightning just needs longer exposures and the weather to co-operate. We don't get many good storms here, but I've managed to get some lightning shots in the early hours by just hand holing the camera looking out the window on a low ISO, 60s exposure - all the light coming from the eventual flash.

As Ido & others above have suggested shoot loads with what you have then concentrate your upgrade in the bit where your existing kit frustrates you most. The balance of options will depend on your shooting. Investigate if you can borrow (or rent) to try out options before buying.

I'll recommend my kit. Its in my sig.

I'm also thinking about trading out the nifty 50 for a newer version, maybe the STM or a 1.4.

79-200 2.8 IS v2 is " Family Stuff" lens.

In your budget you can attain a Sigma they are highly recommended by the interwebs and a few people I have met like them too.

The reason that you are in the "the more I look the more I can't make up my mind" mode is because YOU don't know what YOU want or need. You're in the "Let's buy lenses and see what sticks" mode.

We can recommend lenses all day but what you'll hear is what lenses work for US. Perfect example: There are numerous recommendations above for a "Nifty Fifty" yet I personally have absolutely zero use for one. Others do, I don't. For me it would wind up being just another piece of glass stuck in a drawer and forgotten about.

Like others above I'd STRONGLY recommend that you use what you have until you figure out where your shortcomings lie and then YOU will know what lenses you need to suit YOUR needs.

Like others above I'd STRONGLY recommend that you use what you have until you figure out where

your shortcomings lie and then YOU will know what lenses you need to suit YOUR needs.

If you don't do this, you will end up with a couple of lenses that you use for 99% of your photography and a bunch of lenses you hardly ever use.

7D mk 2 body

Thanks for the replies. You all have given me something to think about. I really don't think I need anything really on the lower end other than maybe something a little wider than my 18-55. I can usually get what I want with it though. Just the rare few times that it would have been nice to have something wider. I miss the reach that I used to get with my old point and shoot which was around 400mm. That's where I feel the most missing.
Would a different body with more focus points and better speed help at all? I know I'm working with a entry level now. Would the performance of a mid range body make any difference?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back