Wanting to build my first home studio

photo_guy74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,

I am gathering information on what I need in order to build my very first home studio, but I need help. I will be using a Canon 40D as my camera. I am looking to purchase a basic studio home package from the following url:
(umbrella light stands)
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Continuous-Umbrella-Photography-Fluorescent-Lighting/dp/B0032YTZNE]Amazon.com: Studio Continuous Light Umbrella Kit Photography Fluorescent Photo Digital Video Lighting KIT Uls303 by Ephoto INC: Camera & Photo[/ame][ame="http://cart.owens-originals.com/VU-PRO-COMPLETE-BASIC-HOME-STUDIO-PACKAGE-p/vphb1.htm"][/ame]

(muslins)
http://cart.owens-originals.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VP803COM2

I like the price with this, but I have a few questions:

(1) The light source is continuous flourescent lighting, so it doesn't use strobes. Now, I do have an old Quantaray hot shoe external flash that I use on my old Fuji s7000 6 MP camera...I was told that I could use an external flash as a strobe on a light stand shooting through an umbrella to soften the light... Will that flash head work wirelessly with my canon 40D, or will I need to get a Canon speedlite for it to work wirelessly?

(2) Is there an advantage to using strobes vs. continous light source?

(3) What kind of radio trigger will I need to trigger the flash with my Canon 40D? Does anyone have any links to some good, fairly inexpensive ones?

(4) If I am able to use my old Quantary flash head wirelessly, could I get by with one umbrella light stand with a flash head shooting through it, and the other umbrella light stand with just the flourescent light going through it?

I may have more questions, but this is all I can think of for now.

(1) The light source is continuous flourescent lighting, so it doesn't use strobes. Now, I do have an old Quantaray hot shoe external flash that I use on my old Fuji s7000 6 MP camera...I was told that I could use an external flash as a strobe on a light stand shooting through an umbrella to soften the light... Will that flash head work wirelessly with my canon 40D, or will I need to get a Canon speedlite for it to work wirelessly?
You didn't mention what you will be shooting in your studio, but if it's people, I would suggest going with flash/strobe and forgetting about the constant lighting.
You can fire the flash wirelessly, but you will need a radio trigger set.

2) Is there an advantage to using strobes vs. continuous light source?
Yes, absolutely. When shooting with continuous lighting, you control your exposure with the aperture, ISO and shutter speed. To get sharp shots of moving subjects (people), you need to maintain a decently fast shutter speed...which can be hard to do unless you have a lot of light. And even then, you may be limited to using your widest aperture and perhaps a high ISO. Not ideal.
With flash/strobe, the burst of light is very fast/short...much faster than the shutter speed...so it freeze movement and gives you sharp images.

(3) What kind of radio trigger will I need to trigger the flash with my Canon 40D? Does anyone have any links to some good, fairly inexpensive ones?
Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

(4) If I am able to use my old Quantary flash head wirelessly, could I get by with one umbrella light stand with a flash head shooting through it, and the other umbrella light stand with just the flourescent light going through it?
It's not a good idea to try to mix your lighting types. The color (color temp) would likely be different from each light, causing color casts in your photos.
If you are going to use flash, stick with other flash/strobe lights.

MPEX Strobist Kits

Dude, that was soooo helpful! Thank you very much for this information. At this point, I think I will be using a flash head for the strobe. The link you gave for MPEX Strobist Kits was very helpful also. It looks like I can get everything I need in one kit which takes the guesswork out.

Most reactions

Back