Wanting to buy first camera (Nikon)

Otohp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking to get my first camera finally.

I want to get a nikon, but don't know which is the best to buy.

I don't particularly need the ability to shoot HD video at all, but it would be a nice addition if it was worthwhile getting one of the Nikons that can do it anyway.

I will be shooting an assortment of things, and would rather get one in a twin lens kit (as that will save money in the long term)

Also, what's the big deal about cameras that have the auto lense focus, and ones you have to do manually?

All information is appreciated, thanks.

I'm looking to get my first camera finally.

I want to get a nikon, but don't know which is the best to buy.

I don't particularly need the ability to shoot HD video at all, but it would be a nice addition if it was worthwhile getting one of the Nikons that can do it anyway.

I will be shooting an assortment of things, and would rather get one in a twin lens kit (as that will save money in the long term)

Also, what's the big deal about cameras that have the auto lense focus, and ones you have to do manually?

All information is appreciated, thanks.

To clarify, I'm wanting a DSLR.

I'm looking, in particular, at the Nikon D90 VR (twin lens kit).

Auto Focus make your life sooooo soooo easy. The D90 is not a bad way to go. I went with the d80 as it is very close to the d90 specs. The d80 does not shoot video and is 10 mp. But the pictures I take are wonderful. I print 30x40 pics all day long and they look great.
If your looking to get into photography at a decent price I would go with the d80 as you can get it for much cheaper than the d90. The d90 still has that I new and expensive price tag attached to it. I say d80 but again thats my preference. If you ask Ken Rockwell he would say D40. LOL

Price Range? What type of photography?

Auto-focus is useful for a very quick moment when you don't have time to manual focus.

D90 has a plethora of advantages over the D80....that said, the D80 is still a good camera for the money, but the D90 is a much better camera with a new CCD sensor (instead of CMOS), tons better high iso performance, bigger LCD, higher FPS, better exposure processing (whatever you call that), etc...

That said, the D80 is still a great camera and if the above items don't seem like a big deal to you then it may be a better option for the price.

Price range is the usual range that most of the Nikon DSLR's are (1000-2000) and it's worth paying that bit extra to get a better camera and a twin lens kit.

So it sounds like the D90 would be a good purchase then? Has lots of features and takes good quality shots.

Also, the D90 has auto focus then? So do I need particular lens' that can lock on to auto focus thingies?

You could do a D5000, 18-55, and 55-200VR for less then a D90 and 18-105.

Not to mention it's smaller, lighter, and built more for the person who's never owned an SLR before, it's really easy to use, and small enough to where it won't prevent you from using it.

And any nikon camera made since about 1987 will have AF, so autofocus really isn't anything special.

You could do a D5000, 18-55, and 55-200VR for less then a D90 and 18-105.

I've looked at the D5000 but am preferring the D90.

Was just seeing what opinions more experienced people had before buying.

(I still have a while of saving first anyway, lol)

I wouldn't personally recommend any Nikon camera under the D80/D90 level unless you're unable to spend that much, and then usually I tell people to go for used ones instead of going to the D60/D40 level. I honestly don't know much about the D5000. I kinda laughed at it when I saw it and moved on. :lol: I need to go back and revisit. :)

I'm sure you'll be fine with the D90. It's a solid device. I would personally try to find a D200 over a D90 because it's a different class of body with fewer physical limitations (even though the D90 is in many ways functionally better than the D200), but that's me. Pick them both up and you'll instantly notice a rather significant difference.

On the lenses... one tip. Lots of people find that the 18-55, 50-200 combo is kind of annoying because you're constantly flipping. I recommend the 18-135 and a 70-300 instead. You should wind up spending just about the same amount of money, but will find most "average" needs are more appropriately covered... and you will most likely only rarely use anything other than the 18-135. It's very flexible.

That being said, the optics on the 18-55 and 50-200 are almost undoubtably a bit better... but none of the lenses we're talking about here are incredible, and for most newer shooters, you won't notice a difference.

i also looked at the d5000 when i was looking for an dslr but i like to have an info screen on top so i can always see my settings and the d5000 doesnt have one. the d5000 is a good camera for someone who owns a point and shoot but want to bumb up to something where they can do a bit more with the settings. if you plan on really getting into photography and dont have 2000.00 to spend on a kit id go with the d90. i bought one a couple months ago and love it. the lens that come with it is a good overall all around lens. you can deffinately stay busy with it. sometimes i find myself wanting a wide angle lense like a 10-24mm and a good telephoto lens but the lens that come on it works like 90% of the time for me. it just depends on what your going to be shooting. the vr on it works really good too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back