Wanting to set up a small home studio and looking for recommendations on what to get.

You can absolutely afford Alien Bees because you don't need 5 lights for "a small home studio". Get yourself an AB1600 and a nice stand, octa-box, triggers and a nice background.

The question is does one want to,literally, "set up a small home studio," or just dink around with one flash and some bounce light??? There's a huge difference. And, when one buys that reflector, he'd better buy a light stand and a grip arm and clamp to make it useful. There's a big difference between just dicking around, and having a small, home studio. So, you want to shoot some white background stuff. Good luck with your single light. So, you want to create a gelled, colored background...good luck with your one light. So, you want to shoot a gradient-lighted background...good luck with your single light. So, you want to create some dramatic Dave Hill-like lighting...again...good luck with your single light and reflector...

The question is does one want to,literally, "set up a small home studio," or just dink around with one flash and some bounce light??? There's a huge difference. And, when one buys that reflector, he'd better buy a light stand and a grip arm and clamp to make it useful. There's a big difference between just dicking around, and having a small, home studio. So, you want to shoot some white background stuff. Good luck with your single light. So, you want to create a gelled, colored background...good luck with your one light. So, you want to shoot a gradient-lighted background...good luck with your single light. So, you want to create some dramatic Dave Hill-like lighting...again...good luck with your single light and reflector...

Don't get me wrong I agree with you, but he can build up to that. Most people aren't going to go out and buy a full studio set-up right from the get go.

I think that the 5 light set up that derrel has suggested is going to be what i learn to. It makes sense and im not even close to being where i want to be to invest in that kind of lighting gear. I think at some point down the road it would be nice to have that but I dont want to spend a few hundred every month or so to get just one light. Id rather spend a grand over the course of a month or two and get something that I can use that suits me for now.

However, Id like to get some input from you guys about something someone at my local camera shop suggested.

3 monolights, umbrellas, stands, and a trigger for 300. this is the exact set from adorama

RPS Studio 480W, 3 Monolight Portable Strobe Kit, Stand RSSBSLK3

I think that the 5 light set up that derrel has suggested is going to be what i learn to. It makes sense and im not even close to being where i want to be to invest in that kind of lighting gear. I think at some point down the road it would be nice to have that but I dont want to spend a few hundred every month or so to get just one light. Id rather spend a grand over the course of a month or two and get something that I can use that suits me for now.

However, Id like to get some input from you guys about something someone at my local camera shop suggested.

3 monolights, umbrellas, stands, and a trigger for 300. this is the exact set from adorama

RPS Studio 480W, 3 Monolight Portable Strobe Kit, Stand RSSBSLK3

This would be MUCH better if you could also swing a 5in1 reflector 40 inches or larger with a stand and arm to hold it.

Flashpoint FP320MPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit FP320MPWK

Having a strobe that you can use with other attachments means that you won't be pitching them in the trash after 6 months to a year and thereby wasting your money. Barndoors, grids, gels and so on are important too.

Gotta agree with Mike_E...the 3-light setup offered for $349 cannot be fitted with barn doors or grids... which makes the lights less-useful, less-versatile,and not quite a good investment. Also, if I am not mistaken, those flash units in the $349, 3-light kit have NON-replaceable flash tubes, so when one gives out...it's not a user-replaceable flashtube...those are what many call throw-away lights...the Flashpoint monolights have user-replaceable, plug-in flash tubes and can be fitted with different reflectors, honeycomb grids, barn doors, etc.. So, the lights themselves are of a lower class "type" than the Flashpoints. That is how Adorama can offer three lights, stands, and umbrellas for $349...it's pretty low-cost stuff to begin with.

I agree, the TWO-light, two-umbrella, two-stand + case kit Flashpoint FP320MPWK Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit FP320MPWK for another $20 is what I would rather own than the lower-grade, 3-light kit for $20 less.

Im just going to stick with your original suggestion. i have heard nothing but good things about those flashpoint lights and want to be able to use them in a year or two as well.

Hey. So I'm looking at these flashpoint setups... seem to be a good deal. Question... do I fire these with my pocketwizards? Does TTL still work when I do that? I'm sorta clueless in this space. Thank you!

I use PWs with my flashpoints. I think you need an extra cable - I'll have to check. Before that, I used the flashpoint Transmitter/Receiver which cost about $50. TTL - no? Adjust the lights to get desired output. Use a light meter, or trial and error.

I use PWs with my flashpoints. I think you need an extra cable - I'll have to check. Before that, I used the flashpoint Transmitter/Receiver which cost about $50. TTL - no? Adjust the lights to get desired output. Use a light meter, or trial and error.

Thanks! :)

I got'cher TTL right here! ;)

ummm... I'll do trial and error at $300 lol. :)

Note to self: Always look at who the poster is before answering a question.

errr... what did I do?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
sorry, thought I was getting p*nkd. Didn't believe the wise rabbit didn't know monolights. Anyway.... the flashpoints are a good light for the $$$. I had one where the little plastic thingy that hold the fuse in broke, making the whole thing useless, but that was probably me being careless. The others, have been working fine for about 6 years now. The kits are good if you want/need umbrellas and comes with a bag that doesn't suck much. I can't stand the softboxes, but that may just be me and softboxes.

No, not p*nkd... my exposure to lighting is pretty mush my flash and that's it. Otherwise clueless. Thanks for all the info- thanks very much!

Most reactions

Back