Wanting to start a photography business!

laurenjackson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am new to photography and this forum, I'm wanting to get an idea of starting my own business. This is a long term goal and I'm very passonite about photography, any pointer would be great. TY

Hope you have business skills as good or better than your photography skills.

Snyder, would you say that business skills would be the most important part? Could you give me some must know business skills I will need starting off? I do know photography is a must!

laurenjackson said:
I am new to photography and this forum, I'm wanting to get an idea of starting my own business. This is a long term goal and I'm very passonite about photography, any pointer would be great. TY

Since its a long term goal I would learn as much about photography as you can. Practice practice practice. Post photos for critique. Learn how to edit photos properly and efficiently. Take some business courses. You could be an amazing photographer but if you don't anything about business then you will probably fail at a photography business.

You'll probably need to take a business class in school. It's not as easy as you think.

Learn ... Shoot ... Learn some more ... Shoot some more ... Repeat until everything is instinctive.

The world is absolutely full of people who are brand new to photography and are already wanting to start a business. The town I grew up had two professional photographers (excluding the newspaper guys) when I was a kid. Over the years the population has about doubled yet today, according to Google, there are over 250 "Professional" photographers in the same town. There is a university there and my guess is that 90% of them took a photography class in college and now are ready to become "Professionals".

If you truly want to be a professional you are going to have to find a way to distance yourself from the masses that cannot take a decent photograph yet are more than willing to take people's money for services rendered. My advice stands: Learn, both photography and business, gain experience, both photography and business. You have an uphill battle ahead of you because of the glut caused by self-proclaimed professionals and the stigma of being unable to produce professional results that they have caused.

I want to start a software company that is the operating system for everything in the world. FYI there's almost a daily post here exactly the same as yours. I sure would like to see percentage wise how many actually go forward with it and then succeed. Lots of practice and work and anyone can start a business, usually a forum is not the best place to go to for help with a new business.

What equipment do you have this far? Do you have any photos to share?

I want to start a software company that is the operating system for everything in the world. FYI there's almost a daily post here exactly the same as yours. I sure would like to see percentage wise how many actually go forward with it and then succeed. Lots of practice and work and anyone can start a business, usually a forum is not the best place to go to for help with a new business.

Thanks for your input!! This is something i'm very passionate about, this it not the only place I'm asking ADVICE or studying. I have a little more sense then that. With that being said practice and work hard aren't really much of a help more just common sense. Good luck on your software company and I hope that when you ask for advice you don't get an arrogant ass. Love and Peace

What equipment do you have this far? Do you have any photos to share?

Nikon D300. I do have photos not any that I'm ready to share. I know people are going to rip me to pieces, I got get myself mentally ready for that. LOL

You better be ready for critique, it will really help you grow :thumbsup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back