Wanting to upgrade my d80

ToorboCharge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so Ive had my d80 for about 4 years now, and i want to upgrade to a full frame camera, but i am in a dilemna between getting a d600/d800... Ive been looking at youtube reviews for both the d600 and d800, but youtube reviews could only go so far imo and im still stuck at deciding. I understand that the d600 has the dust issues, and 39 af points as compared to the d800 with 51 BUT ive read that it has issues focusing towards the left. the lenses i have are nikon 50mm 1.4g, nikon 14-24 2.8. Also the next lens im looking towards next is the 24-70, but that was off subject. honestly just need a little insight on everyones views or opinions. The photography i do mostly varies between potrait and landscape, cause i noticed everyone always ask that when people ask upgrading cam/lens.

EDIT:
I also forgot to add that I like that wifi thing that the d600 has sorry.

Last edited:
How big do you print? Not more than A4? Than get the D600 and be happy. Yeah, the the 51AF is great and all that, but meh, ain't a deal breaker to me. It might also be the wine talking but I'd take the D600 over the D800 Because I wouldn't want to deal with the 36mp images.

Other considerations that people tend to forget is their computer system. As the 36mb raw file size when editing can bring reasonably new system to their knees and requires upgrading also.

[h=2]Nikon D600 vs. D800 Hands-on Review and Tips[/h]Brings some interesting observations about their differences.

I have a d600 and its a great camera. It can produce stunning images. I never really feel like I'm missing out on the extra 12 mp. Although it would be nice. The auto focus stumbles around a bit in low light conditions. But I usually only use auto focus for street photography so I have the af light off. I have heard that the d800 is better at shooting video because you can change aperture on power aperture lenses. Although I don't shoot video so that was irrelevant to me. Still noteworthy though. One feature that the d800 has is the mode selector dial has buttons for iso, wb, bracketing and quality. I feel like that's very useful positioning for those buttons. The d600 has a dual locking mode dials in that position. Which I find the locking bit rater annoying. I have never had a problem with changing the mode by accident on my d90.

I would say go for the d600 and put the money you will save toward new glass, like the 24-70. I wouldn't bother with the kit lens if you are planning on the 24-70 btw.

Rumors say the D800 will drop in price ($200) on Dec. 15... Nikon D800/D800E price drop on December 15th? | Nikon Rumors

Also, The D600 'dust issue' hasn't really been proven to be an issue... Quote from Thom Hogan:
As for the D600 dust issue: still not enough data, but I also received plenty of comments about people's experience with this, as well. The trend seems to be this: some D600's came with dust, it doesn't clear off with built-in sensor cleaning, but when it is cleaned, the dust doesn't tend to recur at the same levels.

And lastly.. The D800 left focus issue seems to have been fixed.

In the end it comes down to money... The D800 is a better camera, but costs more. The D600 is all most people need.. and is priced lower. I'm a gadget nerd and would go for the D800 :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back