Artemis

Just Punked Himself
Reaction score
Website
www.falcon-eye.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The War of the Ghosts

One night two young men from Egulac went down to the river to hunt seals and while there it became foggy and calm. They heard war cries and they thought, “Maybe this is a war party.” They escaped to the shore and hid behind a log. Now canoes came up, and they heard the noise of paddles and saw one canoe coming up to them. There were five men in the canoe, and they said:

“What do you think? We wish to take you along. We are going up the river to make war on the people.”

One of the young men said: “I have no arrows.”

“Arrows are in the canoe,” they said.

“I will not go along. I might be killed. My relatives do not know where I have gone. But you”, he said turning to the other, “may go with them.”

So one of the young men went, but the other returned home.

And the warriors went on up the river to a town on the other side of Kalama. The people came down to the water, and they began to fight, and many were killed. But presently the young man heard one of the warriors say, “Quick, let us go home; that Indian has been hit.” Now he thought, “Oh, they are ghosts.” He did not feel sick, but they said he had been shot.

So the canoes went back to Egulac, and the young man went ashore to his house and made a fire. And he told everybody and said, “Behold, I accompanied the ghosts, and we went to a fight. Many of our fellows were killed, and many of those who attacked us were killed. They said I was hit and I did not feel sick.”

He told it all, and then he became quiet. When the sun rose he fell down. Something black came out of his mouth. His face became contorted. The people jumped up and cried.

He was dead.

Something weve done in Psychology, I want you guys to re tell this story and post it, and I wanna see how youve changed it.

Sorry, Ive got a psychology exam tomorow (Which I am going to fail) and so Im in psych mode.

I will explain why I have asked you about this story later :)

Is this along the lines of Chinese whispers, but you're interested in what part people change and how? Like if you influence the ghost part or change the age of the men?

If I were to re-tell it, I'd probably add more detail to the initial interaction between the men and the ghosts using my own imagination. I'd expect I'd forget to say they were young to. It doesn't seem important to the story.
Your story seems to be a shorthand version, so I'd just fill in some spaces where I feel there are blanks in other words.

hehe, well for starters, it isnt shortend.

Ill tell yah why I asked, since you the only one who replied.
Its because of a little thing called "Reconstructive memory".
See...your mind has...things called "Schemas" which are little maps which make sure everything goes into place.
Its like when you are at work, and...when youve been there long enough, you use the till without thinking, thats because a Schema is telling you exactly what you should be doing, so your doing it.

Schemas also are part of the way we want to hear things, like this story.
To the creators of this folk tale (american indians) this story is perfectly fine, and it, I belive, is very famous.
But to you, as it doesnt adapt to your schema of how a story should go, it is erratic, over everywhere, and impossible to understand, so your mind will 'Alter' the story, so that it fits into your schema.

Hope I explaing that ok :)

omg, i remember doing this. i got a D in my AS, i suck at psycho, but then, at the start of the exam, they run out of papers and i had to wait till they run and photocopied one for me which they borrowed from one of the students. it sucked, i got so stressed and rushed thru the paper, bleh. ah well

p.s. in our class the final story ended as:

a man went into a boat and puked up something black, haha

julz said:
omg, i remember doing this. i got a D in my AS, i suck at psycho, but then, at the start of the exam, they run out of papers and i had to wait till they run and photocopied one for me which they borrowed from one of the students. it sucked, i got so stressed and rushed thru the paper, bleh. ah well

Aww thats awefull, I know what its like to get stressed in exams.

In my GCSE's, kids were having full conversations and singing, and I once got shouted at to Hurry up, because when I finished everyone in the CS dept could go, and they were getting pissed of waiting.

Plus one was singing to annoy me, and they kept pestering me for my sweets :(

Artemis said:
hehe, well for starters, it isnt shortend.

Ill tell yah why I asked, since you the only one who replied.
Its because of a little thing called "Reconstructive memory".
See...your mind has...things called "Schemas" which are little maps which make sure everything goes into place.
Its like when you are at work, and...when youve been there long enough, you use the till without thinking, thats because a Schema is telling you exactly what you should be doing, so your doing it.

Schemas also are part of the way we want to hear things, like this story.
To the creators of this folk tale (american indians) this story is perfectly fine, and it, I belive, is very famous.
But to you, as it doesnt adapt to your schema of how a story should go, it is erratic, over everywhere, and impossible to understand, so your mind will 'Alter' the story, so that it fits into your schema.

Hope I explaing that ok :)

I get you. It did take me a couple of reads to get the full gist of it. That is what I meant by filling in the blanks. At first I wasn't sure who was talking to who.

One evening a pair of hunters from nearby Remulak, venture down to the ice flows to hunt the seal that feed there. After a bit the air about them became thick and still, and a veil of fog entrenched around them, obscuring their view of the water.
"'Let's go down to water and hunt', he says, 'The weather reports are never right,' he says," chided the one hunter to the other.
The other hunter remained silent however as his attention was held at bay by a undeterminable apparition. Both hunter strained their eyes throught the fog but neither could asertain the precise dimentions of the shadow narrowing in on their position. It was as if Euclid was out of the office on the day this particular mass was concieved. Only as drew it to within an arm of the men did the image resolve to that of several men garbed in battle acoutriments navigating a long, but shallow canoe throught the waters.
"What to make yourself usefull?" muttered a voice for the front of the boat.
"Watcha got in mind?" said the less enthusiatic hunter.
"Some detestable mothers from up the steam 'been giving our village the stink eye and we're aiming to fix their wagons. Wanna come with?"
"Ahhh...left my arrows at home I'm afraid. Yeah, fresh out," said the cranky hunter as he quickly kicks his quiver under a lolling walrus.
"Yeah, we got arrows, buddy," said another voice with a verbal eyebrow firmly raised.
"Sure uh, this guy here, he's been telling me all day how he'd love to fight in some ghost wars. You know, if he ever got the chance," said the less eager hunter as he pats the bemused one on the back.
The confused hunter, who's idea it was to ignore the weather report, was to confused and pissed to argue. He ambled out to the canoe and dissapeared into the shroud.
The formerly irritated, and now just plain happy to not be enlisted in any ghost battles, hunter darted back to the village.
Now friends, reports of the battle are sketchy, just alot of ghosts getting the tar whipped out of them. The story was related by the recently returned hunter to a village full of incredulous faces.
"No really, there was ghosts killing each other and...ahhh...ninja's and samurai flying everywhere. It was awesome," the hunter excitedly reported.
Just as the chief of the village, who was not one for nonsense of this sort, was about to rise to tell Quequeg (the hunter) what a dufus he thought he was the sun rose. As the first rays pierced the travel lodge like tent, the hunter fell to the ground. A close inspection revealed that the hunter had been for a few weeks it's just that nobody paid much attention to the guy. The End - The walrus was a ghost too.

NakedAnt said:
One evening a pair of hunters from nearby Remulak, venture down to the ice flows to hunt the seal that feed there. After a bit the air about them became thick and still, and a veil of fog entrenched around them, obscuring their view of the water.
"'Let's go down to water and hunt', he says, 'The weather reports are never right,' he says," chided the one hunter to the other.
The other hunter remained silent however as his attention was held at bay by a undeterminable apparition. Both hunter strained their eyes throught the fog but neither could asertain the precise dimentions of the shadow narrowing in on their position. It was as if Euclid was out of the office on the day this particular mass was concieved. Only as drew it to within an arm of the men did the image resolve to that of several men garbed in battle acoutriments navigating a long, but shallow canoe throught the waters.
"What to make yourself usefull?" muttered a voice for the front of the boat.
"Watcha got in mind?" said the less enthusiatic hunter.
"Some detestable mothers from up the steam 'been giving our village the stink eye and we're aiming to fix their wagons. Wanna come with?"
"Ahhh...left my arrows at home I'm afraid. Yeah, fresh out," said the cranky hunter as he quickly kicks his quiver under a lolling walrus.
"Yeah, we got arrows, buddy," said another voice with a verbal eyebrow firmly raised.
"Sure uh, this guy here, he's been telling me all day how he'd love to fight in some ghost wars. You know, if he ever got the chance," said the less eager hunter as he pats the bemused one on the back.
The confused hunter, who's idea it was to ignore the weather report, was to confused and pissed to argue. He ambled out to the canoe and dissapeared into the shroud.
The formerly irritated, and now just plain happy to not be enlisted in any ghost battles, hunter darted back to the village.
Now friends, reports of the battle are sketchy, just alot of ghosts getting the tar whipped out of them. The story was related by the recently returned hunter to a village full of incredulous faces.
"No really, there was ghosts killing each other and...ahhh...ninja's and samurai flying everywhere. It was awesome," the hunter excitedly reported.
Just as the chief of the village, who was not one for nonsense of this sort, was about to rise to tell Quequeg (the hunter) what a dufus he thought he was the sun rose. As the first rays pierced the travel lodge like tent, the hunter fell to the ground. A close inspection revealed that the hunter had been for a few weeks it's just that nobody paid much attention to the guy. The End - The walrus was a ghost too.

LMAO Awesome, Im posting this one up on my school board! :D

Most reactions

Back