War Photographer

I didn't mean to imply that it is easy to get into one of those agencies. It is not. But it is doable.

I didn't say it would be easy nor imply so.... If you look at members of the Magnum photo agency, they don't have a history of hiring off the street. Papers and news media sometimes do... hence a pointer that they might be a better place to start.

usayit, a lot of good things are being done for selfish reasons. So what? As long as it gets done, I tend to not worry about the why.

Right...

End justify the means...

Right....

:er:

the class i will show the dvd does not have any young folks. on top of that i always warn the class that a specific video may contain subject matter that individuals might find offensive and ask them it that is going to be a problem.

in fact we will be reviewing Sally Mann's "What Remains" next week and i will give them the opportunity to speak up about watching the body farm images.

as an aside, your photo group from Ga. should not have any problems with gay pride in atlanta. As that parade has been going on for years and the city has a large gay active population.

Sally Mann... what a wonderful photographer and she's taken so much cr*p over the years. I spent most of my HS years in France so it probably has something to do with it but I just don't get how crazy we go about some things in this country.

Gays are a good example of that. I lived in Augusta (or Disgusta, as it is known around Athens...) and the parade this year will be the first one. Considered how incredibly intolerant this area is (my wife's car got keyed for having Obama stickers; one guy put his Obama signs up in his trees so they wouldn't be taken down...), I do expect some trouble. Nothing major, mind you, but some nonetheless and, so, I think it is worth photographing.

Ah, certainly a different part of the "world".

Yes i enjoy her work and it is crazy what she has to deal with. There was a time when everyone in the world had nude babies on bear rugs and no one thought a thing about it. Some of hers i believe also is the crap with Jock Sturges, which also, is strange as those photos are about as sexless as one can be .

Now , if folks want to hant and rail about Malpethorp, i understand what sets them on edge, but he doesn't get any credit for other lovely images because he is so infamous for the one project .

anyway, i am now drifting off topic for suere.

Ah, certainly a different part of the "world".

:lmao: That it is. At least to me and I was glad to leave it. You don't show a location. Are you in this area yourself? No need to be specific either if you prefer to keep it to yourself.

Now , if folks want to hant and rail about Malpethorp, i understand what sets them on edge, but he doesn't get any credit for other lovely images because he is so infamous for the one project .

Jumping from the pride parade to Maplethorpe... how nice :lol: I lived in DC when the Corcoran cancelled his show years ago and, of course, went to the demonstration with projection of his photos on the outside wall of the gallery. A lovely evening.

anyway, i am now drifting off topic for suere.

That's ok. We did some of that yesterday with AnneRiceBowl. It's nice to talk to people :D

haha!

I grew-up in Savannah. Lots of old money there, and I went to school with the kids of those families. I was ridiculed, etc for being a little out of the "norm". People are simply afraid of what they do not understand and react with violence. It must be boring to follow the status quo. ;) There are so many more fascinating things and places to explore out side of the box.

I am waiting on Netflix to mail me "War Photographer". My broadband is too slow to stream the videos on youtube.

I was told that Augusta was once as beautiful as Savannah but too much of it was destroyed during the war (the war of northern aggression, I guess) and it was not rebuilt as it once was...

Although I don't think I was ridiculed, the other kids had no idea what to make of me when I reached my teens. I had grown up in a 1/2 dozen countries (not of the w. european/n. american persuasion) and I just didn't think like them. In retrospect it was kind of funny because kids my age thought I was a loner while the truth was that I got along with older, more experienced people better.

And it's been true ever since. Most of my friends are my parents age :lol:

Now, I don't think there will be much physical violence at the Augusta Pride parade. I'm pretty sure the mayor will have the entire police force there that day but there will most probably be a lot of hate.

c.cloudwalker,

Thanks for starting this thread. I just watched the movie. I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for suggesting the film. I added it to my Netflix queue.

I'm looking forward to The Bang Bang Club being released, but IMDb only shows it being released in Canada and Greece so far. I've also wanted to check out The Life of Kevin Carter (The Death of Kevin Carter) but it's hard to get a hold of, aside from buying it. I may end up doing that as it's not available through Netflix.

i am in Atlanta, moved here in 84.

Showed the Ruth Bernhard dvd to my vision class last week. They loved her attitude as well as the work.

c.cloudwalker,

Thanks for starting this thread. I just watched the movie. I really enjoyed it.

Glad you did.

Thanks for suggesting the film. I added it to my Netflix queue.

I'm looking forward to The Bang Bang Club being released, but IMDb only shows it being released in Canada and Greece so far. I've also wanted to check out The Life of Kevin Carter (The Death of Kevin Carter) but it's hard to get a hold of, aside from buying it. I may end up doing that as it's not available through Netflix.

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy it.

"The Life of Kevin Carter" is available as a torrent download. :D Had to look him up. Totally forgotten about him. :grumpy:

Showed the Ruth Bernhard dvd to my vision class last week. They loved her attitude as well as the work.

Although somewhat familiar with her work, I didn't know there was a movie about her. What is it called? I can't find anything about it...

It is called Illuminations

she did such beautiful nudes , at least in my opinon.

It is called Illuminations

she did such beautiful nudes , at least in my opinon.

I agree with your opinions of her nudes but I can't find this film... :grumpy:

Even IMDb doesn't seem to know about it. Is there a longer title or more info you can give us?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back