Warming and softening

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am using this pic just as an example, I have not done any editing at all to it other then resize it.

DSC_0121.jpg

It doesn't feel warm to me one bit. Is there something I can do with my settings to help or should I just do it all when I edit?

My other question is how to soften pictures. How do I give light, mist, fog, etc that ethereal glowing effect?

Thank you

Something like this?

DSC_0121-b.jpg

If so, I adjusted the levels in photoshop to warm it up. then I duplicated the layer and gaussian blurred it. Set the blurred layer to screen and lowered opacity. Then duplicated the original layer again and adjusted curves to get a better tonal balance.
Dug

The 'warmth' of the image has to do with the white point and/or the color temperature of the light. Think of it this way...the light from a setting sun would be 'warm' light. In this image, it's lit by flash....flash is made to be similar to mid day sun...so it's not really warm.

There are plenty of ways to add 'warmth' to an image...it's basically just changing the color. There are warming filters that you use while you shoot...but with digital, all you need to do is to change the White Balance setting. You can add the color afterwards as well, if you want. Photoshop has a preset warming filter or two...or you could just adjust it on your own to get the look you want.

As for the softening and other effects...there are many many ways to go about it. Read up on Photoshop or what ever program you have for editing images.

Thank you very much! I like both edits...I'll do more reading :) Thank you for letting me know what steps you took Mr Bester, I am gonna have to try that.

Can I get that glowing effect using aperture? Or should I get photoshop?

The only way I know how to get the effect in camera is vaseline on the lens or a soft focus filter. I wouldn't do that if I were you, because it is irreversible if you do it in camera. If money is a problem, you could use the Gimp(freeware photoshop clone).
Dug

Most reactions

Back