Warmth

magicmonkey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This was taken with a 350D using a canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5 II USM lens at 46mm focal, ISO 100, 0.6 sec exposure, f5.6. Hope those are all the techy details you'll ever need!

Here's the problem, when I took this shot I was trying to convey the warmth of the environment but the shot has ended up looking very cold and distant. I need the colours to convey more warmth and for the buildings (well, shacks) to be more bold. Could someone give me a few pointers in the right direction? It is possible to re-shoot so suggestions in that direction are welcome as well although I can only get this angle on the shot due to access problems.

Work-Sheds.jpg

Please crit away!!

Thanks for looking

The focus is off on the buildings under the lights. Were you using a tripod? Other then focus, I would play with the WB, It is definately off, but that may of been the look you were going after.

I don't think color balance is going to do it for me. There is nothing in the subject that suggests warmth, so a warm color balance will only make me think that the wrong film or WB was used for the type of lights present. It looks like a construction site at night, so given that context, it seems cold, distant, and lonely, even if it's a warm place during the day.

C.R.D> I wasn't using a tripod but I had the camera resting on a pile of books looking out of the window, I'm pretty sure the focus was fine but I think that as it was such a windy day there waas a bit of shake there as the others I took the same way had some very noticable streaking to them.

Markc> This is a construction site taken at night so you're right, not much to make it feel warm in the composition, the reason that I took the shot was the warm colours coming from the 3 floodlights which made a cold and wet day appear a bit more calm and nice. I'm sure I've probably overexadurated the colours in my memory and the colour balance though!

Ahh well, I think I'll put this down to a learning experience!!! Thanks for the honest opinions guys, much appreciated :)

the colours are warm already i think.

i think also some vignetting would help this photo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back