Was deadset on buying the D7100 soon, but now with all the rumors.. Should I wait?

So basically, the only reason Canon is used more by pro wildlife photographers is hype and marketing, not performance?

Could anyone link me some professional wildlife photographers who use Nikon? I am edging more and more to the Nikon now, reading all of this. I just need a last "push" to feel completely safe doing it :)

Uh....no...you're missing most of the historical context of what was written. BOTH companies make some fine,fine products. Right now, Canon is lagging behind on APS-C sensor performance, and beginning in 2007, thousands of professionals, many of whom shot Nikon in the 1980's, "swung back" to Nikon, as Canon's dominance in the d-slr segment suddenly was challenmged by the Nikon D3, D300, and D700 cameras. I explained, accurately, how Canon came from second place to first place in sales, by virtue of its decades-long efforts to improve Canon marketing and Canon advertising.

When Canon first got into the camera business...they hired Nippon Kogaku, Nikon, in other words, to make all their lenses, for basically the first ten years of Canon camewras' existence...and over the MULTIPLE decades, Canon sloooooooooowly pulled ahead of other camera makers, from "nowhere" in Year 1, to #1 today.

Most-popular does not equal "best". McDonald's is America's "most popular restaurant". Toyota sells more vehicles than Mercedes. Ergo, Toyota must be the better car. and since MORE people eat at McDonald's than at Le French Cafe, McDonald's is the best.

Coca~Cola was, for literally decades, the single most-valuable brand in the world. That title was recently lost. The most-valuable brand in the world... built upon basically....great marketing of....sugar water...
*cough* coke-freestyle is crap *cough*

Not sure if it quite holds up for soda. Marketing might get me to *try* a soda, but if they only sell me one then they won't do so well. I drank coke because it was my favorite drink. I now actually don't go to restaurants with the freestyle machines (if they don't have an option like bottled soda, and if I'm likely to drink soda with the meal) because I can't stand the taste.

I would think marketing would be *more* effective with cameras where the likelyhood of you trying the others is lower, and fewer sales per person are needed to drive profits.

Last edited:
Nikon , is a lifestyle choice.. whatever makes you feel comfortable. SO many choices..

So basically, the only reason Canon is used more by pro wildlife photographers is hype and marketing, not performance?

Could anyone link me some professional wildlife photographers who use Nikon? I am edging more and more to the Nikon now, reading all of this. I just need a last "push" to feel completely safe doing it :)

Thom Hogan

Well I'm certainly no professional but I do shoot a lot of critter pictures and of the two systems I chose nikon and never have regretted it. The 24 mp sensor of my d5200 gives me much more options when it comes to cropping in pp.

One recommendation I would make would be a fast sd card, I use the sandisk extreme pro 95 mp/sec cards myself and it allows me to shoot much longer bursts without overwhelming the buffer.

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

This website thinks I am, I made their list somehow and I shoot Nikon.. Photographers in USA | Wildlife Photographers - A List
You can look at my flickr. I personally don't think it matters which system you buy into. They are basically the same and you will be the limiting factor, probably not the gear..

You guys actually managed to convince me to bite the bullet ;)

The camera doesn't fit all the things I would love to do in the future, but I doubt any camera in my pricerange does. May aswell buy this one, upgrade to a fullframe when I become actualy adequate enough and when I do, I'll have the D7100 as a badass backup camera :)

I bought a d7000, the same month the 7100 was released. but the 7100 was more $$$, so I would have ended up with the 7000 anyways.

the longer you wait to purchase anything, the longer it will take to improve your abilities.
The camera is just a tool, it's up to you to make the photos what they are.

Until then, I'm stuck with IronMask in personal suckiness at composition, technicality and PP.

fyi, I have yet to compare my d7000 to my d600 on my telescope but that is coming when it stays warm out at night.

Get the 7100. You'll love it.

You guys actually managed to convince me to bite the bullet ;)

The camera doesn't fit all the things I would love to do in the future, but I doubt any camera in my pricerange does. May aswell buy this one, upgrade to a fullframe when I become actualy adequate enough and when I do, I'll have the D7100 as a badass backup camera :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! You now have an awesome new camera...a better imager than professional Canons and Nikons that used to cost five to eight thousand dollars a few years ago!!!!

ENJOY the new camera! It can shoot really awesome photos if it's pointed in the right direction. When the time comes that it needs to be replaced, there will be a whole new world of exciting choices, but that day will be somewhat in the future, so live in the moment and enjoy your new purchase!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back