Was I expecting too much?

markj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Received my new 50mm 1.8g lens on Tuesday. After viewing images in Lightroom today, I've concluded that it is a good lens. Is it tack sharp? No. My problem is that I also own a 105mm 2.8g lens that I probably compared it too. The images from the 105mm are simply stunning, RAZOR sharp. Was I expecting too much from a $220 lens?

What aperture were you shooting on?

And yes, you may have been expecting too much, or it was user error. The lens won't perform well at f/1.8 optically.

^^^ That was my next question.

Tons of people post that they are upset that their 50mm isn't sharp. shooting wide open with that lens is going to give you a VERY small depth of field to word with. If you're not proficient with it, you won't like the results. Bump it up to F4 or more and toy around with it.

AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8G lens. Most apertures were used, with an emphasis on f5.6 thru f8.

Send it back.. and get the Sigma 50mm 1.4... it rocks! (and yes.. I know.. it is more money!)

Send it back.. and get the Sigma 50mm 1.4... it rocks! (and yes.. I know.. it is more money!)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THAT!!!!!!

Spend the extra dime on the best of the 50 primes

what would THAT!!!!!! be? How about trading in on a 35mm 1.8g?

Send it to me I will test it for you over the next year and get back to you with whether it is sharp or not....kidding of course.
I need to buy one but can't find any available.

That lens should be very sharp, are you sure you gave it a fair test. The new G is much better than the D and rated better than the 50 1.4g as well. Should be very sharp wide open, if yours is not have you checked it for front or back focus.
If focus is on and it is not sharp return it and get another one, all lenses have the possibility of variation from sample to sample.

And yes, you may have been expecting too much, or it was user error. The lens won't perform well at f/1.8 optically.

Tyler, that lens (Nikkor 50mm 1.8G AF-S) actually does. It's very sharp wide open, IMO. I don't have the 105mm f/2.8 though to compare it to though.

Macro lenses are typically some of the sharpest lenses you can get. Furthermore differences in the selected aperture and the lighting can make big differences in the appearance of sharpness. Lighting is especially important - a flat lighting over a dull subject can make things seem flat and lacking detail and sharpness - whilst the same lens with a more contrasty subject and stronger, more directional lighting can suddenly turn out a tack sharp shot. This is mostly because its differences in contrast that we see as points of sharpness in a visual image.

Most reactions

Back