Was in a Photo Gallery and wondered....

NancyMoranG

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
in Jackson, Wy I went in to 2 professional photo galleries. Obviously beautiful images.
I saw a large photo that was @ 45 X 78" ( because I asked ) that was a close up of an animal face.
What type camera, pixels, whatever does it take to produce a photo like that?
Curious.

A 4 x 6 foot print would need a very large format film camera, think 5 x 7, or 8 x 10 neg/transparency.

Or the equivalent resolution/size digital camera.

But, that large of a print I'd bet was done from a large format film camera image. I'm not sure you can get that big of a print without seeing the pixels from a digital image.

This photographer teaches CreativeLive class. I saw him on my bear jams but didn't notice him with a 'box' type camera? Sorry don't know much on various camera styles. :{

At 300 ppi, a digital sensor would need to be about 316 megapixels, at 100 ppi it would need to be just over 35 MP. Isn't the Nikon D800 36 MP?

Last edited:
Joe Mangelsen of Jackson Wy. I guess I can read up on him and see, but I was curious in general as to what it takes...

I can do that size with my fujifilm GFX but my wife would slap the fixer out of me if I brought home a print of mine that big, unless it was a portrait of Matthew McConaughey and I pasted it on the ceiling in our bedroom.

I've made prints from a 35mm negative that size.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back