Washing a Camera

Discussion in 'Collector's Corner' started by IanG, Nov 10, 2019 at 5:37 PM.

1. IanG

IanG No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whole cooking last night I decided my first MPP MicroTechnical MkIII needed a bath.

First I removed the lens bellows, front standard, lens etc .. . . . . . oh and as much of the fake leather covering as possible.

upload_2019-11-10_23-27-48.png

upload_2019-11-10_23-29-42.png

The body of the camera getting a good wash . . . . . . . . . and a very hard scrub where needed :D

It's all back together now, re-lubricated, Maroon leatherette, new Photos to follow :)

Ian

2. Heidi Rosser

Heidi Rosser TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow! I would have never think of putting a camera in the bath. :1251: Is that just soapy water?

Can’t wait to see the finished item.
    Where do you get your leatherette from? I have a Bee Bee that needs a new skin.

3. IanG

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'll photograph the finished camera later, washing this one was just hot water washing up liquid to remove the old covering and it's glue. The material MPP used on the MkIII MicroTechnical cameras doesn't age or wear well so they usually look quite scruffy. In fact MPP realised that quite early on so made changes for the MkVI onwards. (MkIV and V cameras are thought to have been prototypes or the 2 versions of the MicroPress).

While you might think washing could be an issue there were no parts that could be affected and inside the body was quite grubby. It's nothing like steaming where I've had to straiten parts of wooden cameras, the front standard or more specifically the part where the lens board slots of my Whole plate Houghton Victo camera was badly warped. I soaked the part in hot water for maybe 30 mins then heated it in the oven and was able to remove the warp, clamping it straight to cool and dry, 4 or 5 years later it's still straight. That;s more agressive than plain steaming

I've had to steam part the front standard focus frame of my Thornton Pickard Two Shutter Triple Imperial Half Plate camera. In this case I just laid the warped/broken part across a domestic electric kettle with the lid open. One edge wasn't straight even with the brass focus rack attached (that was bent)and had been poorly repaired in the past. Now it's straight and focus will be smooth hen re-assembled.

It's lighter here now but still a bit dull so:

upload_2019-11-11_9-31-17.png

The covering is a dark maroon, my other parts MkVII is dark Navy blue. I' photograph both together later when it's brighter.

This was the camera before:

upload_2019-11-11_9-35-17.png

Doesn't show the missing bits of covering and the tears.

I've rolls of leatherette so I'm sure we can sort some out for you Heidi :D

Ian

• Like Like x 1
  4. star camera company

star camera company TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That’s Really Nice Work! I’m certain it’s even Nicer in hand. :)

5. Heidi Rosser

Heidi Rosser TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That looks amazing, you did a great job! I do like the choice of the maroon skin.

6. IanG

Photos NOT OK to edit
    upload_2019-11-13_8-16-47.png
    The left hand camera is a MkIII, it came as parts with the middle MkIII camera and was missing the whole of the back. I rebuilt it and covered it with dark navy blue leatherette. The middle camera is the subject of this thread and th one one the right is a MkVII

Both the Navy Blue and Maroon leatherette look good, I'm not sure which I prefer.

Ian

7. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can just see canons reaction if I put my 600d in the wash. You have a skill, if you are down the s coast uk in Arundel there is a shop that sales old cameras and kit from yesteryear

8. IanG

Photos NOT OK to edit

I've heard of the shop but never get down that way. I do well enough at camera fairs and flea markets :D

Ian