Washington DC location shooting

susanpell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I will be doing an environmental portrait in DC next week. I've never been to Washington before, and I was wondering if there are any restrictions on shooting on the street in front of landmarks, ie the Capitol Building. I won't have a large set-up. Probably just my assistant holding a reflector with a Nikon flash.

Also, any ideas for locations under cover, in case of rain? I'm hoping to find something outdoors, but with a roof overhead, with some kind of view.

thanks,
susan

As a general rule, tripods are allowed on the Mall and around monuments, but not inside the monuments. Tripods aren't allowed on and around US Capitol grounds.

Otherwise, I don't think you'll have any problems, after all you're part owner of all the government buildings.

Of course, if there is a problem, they'll let you know.

Oh, one last thing, long telephoto lenses are frowned upon just about everywhere in the district for some reason, but particularly around the Whitehouse.

Keith thanks for the info! That's very helpful. I'll skip the tripod.

long telephoto lenses are frowned upon just about everywhere in the district for some reason, but particularly around the Whitehouse.

I had no idea. How come? I shot around there with a lens that is not exactly monstrous but looks rather big, no one batted an eye. Did you have a personal experience with this? I'd like to know if I should opt for something small next time I'm downtown.
I can see why someone can get nervous when you point a big tubular object at the WH, but is there a formal restriction?
Thanks

Could be because I lived there for a long time but I find the capitol a bit pompous. I much prefer places like Georgetown (so long as you stay off the main streets), Georgetown U, Dumbarton Oaks (a very nice garden, also in Georgetown). There also used to be a nice little garden, part of a Friends Meeting House just north of Dupont Circle. Then, you have the National Cathedral and, in NE, there used to be some very nice looking industrial type buildings. Capitol Hill has some very cool looking areas too.

But I can't think of a single covered place... Sorry. Unless you want to shoot from inside the Lincoln Memorial with the Washington Monument and the Capitol in the background.

If I remember anything else I'll come back.

I think shootings at the White House are probably the most interesting, although somewhat cliche.

Georgetown is neat...Arlington Cemetary...The Cathedral is gorgeous...I would take the telephoto if you want to, its not like they can do anything to you but tell you to put it away...

Ford's Theatre, and the house across the street are also cool places to shoot, although they are not exactly in the best part of downtown...lol

Lots of interesting stuff to shoot along the Mall...

And I agree about Arlington being SPECTACULAR.

Ever been to DC during Cherry Blossom season?

W - O - W !!!!!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back