Water Bugs

jriepe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I was a kid and we saw these things darting back and forth on top of the water we thought they were spiders and always called them water spiders. But I can see they don't have eight legs. I don't know the correct name for these but I'm sure everyone has seen them.

Jerry

WaterSpider010_filteredcopy.jpg

Nice picture! We call it ice-speedskater (Gerris lacustris)
Schaatsenrijder!

that is actually a water strider, so you at least rhymed when you called it a water spider haha

nice shot. use a polarizer? i feel like the water being so clear distracts from the subject a little, which seems to be two striders mating. some more reflection in the water would give you a more pronounced subject in this photo. good shot though, how long did you wait to catch that? or did you just get lucky!?

Thanks guys. Now I know what they are called. Actually they're called several different names but water strider sounds good. No, Steve I didn't use a polarizer. It's still too early for macro season but I feel the urge to get out and am lucky to come home with one shot. Yesterday my one shot was a crayfish and today it was the water strider. There were several darting back and forth but these two weren't venturing very far so the shot was fairly easy to get.

Jerry

Thanks guys. Now I know what they are called. Actually they're called several different names but water strider sounds good. No, Steve I didn't use a polarizer. It's still too early for macro season but I feel the urge to get out and am lucky to come home with one shot. Yesterday my one shot was a crayfish and today it was the water strider. There were several darting back and forth but these two weren't venturing very far so the shot was fairly easy to get.

Jerry

Yep.. lots of names..... water striders, water bugs, magic bugs, pond skaters, skaters, skimmers, water scooters, water skaters, water skeeters, water skimmers, water skippers, water spiders, or Jesus bugs.

Jerry

Yep.. lots of names..... water striders, water bugs, magic bugs, pond skaters, skaters, skimmers, water scooters, water skaters, water skeeters, water skimmers, water skippers, water spiders, or Jesus bugs.

When I checked the link you provided I hadn't noticed that one of the names is water spider. Strider is better since they are not a spider.;)

Jerry

Jerry

When I checked the link you provided I hadn't noticed that one of the names is water spider. Strider is better since they are not a spider.;)

Jerry

I prefer Jesus Bugs myself.. walking on water, and all! ;)

When I was a kid and we saw these things darting back and forth on top of the water we thought they were spiders and always called them water spiders. But I can see they don't have eight legs. I don't know the correct name for these but I'm sure everyone has seen them.

Jerry

WaterSpider010_filteredcopy.jpg

Looks like those two just joined the "do it like jesus would if he would/could" club...

The bottom one is trying to get the top one over his fear of water. At least I think that's what they're doing.:lol:

Jerry

While doing their thing there must be the only time they stay still.

Most reactions

Back