Water damaged lens after repair???

snvplayer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My Nikon 24-70 lens was dropped into water, and was recently repaired by Nikon.
It took about 2 months before they repaired it, and meanwhile I bought another used 24-70 for my work..

I need to sell one of them, and can't decide which.
I feel like the repaired lens might be worth keeping since it will be caliberated and has some new parts in..But I am afraid
it will have problems later on...

So...do lens with water damage tend to have problems down the road even though they were fully repaired?

Any suggestion on which one I should keep?

Thank you.

There are 2 sides to this question.

1. Did Nikon completely repair the lens.

2. If the history were disclosed, would people expect to pay you less for it, regardless of the quality of the repair.

I think that Nikon's policy is to mark items as unrepairable if they can't bring the item back to factory spec. How good a job they did is another question entirely.
There's also no guaranty that the replacement lens would not actually fail sooner than the original for a different reason.

The honest thing would be to disclose the repair history when selling and you would likely get less for the lens as a result. If you're happy with the repair, keep that lens and sell the good one.
Otherwise, expect to get less for the repaired lens and know that the replacement could have problems later anyway.

Your call.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back