Water Droplet for C&C

Olympus E300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fsharpphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is something that I've been meaning to try for some time now and today I finally got off my butt and gave it an honest go. Outside of a slight crop and some vignetting, just the border and watermark were PP'ed into this. I think I took nearly 250 photos before I found one that I felt comfortable with.

I was using my 35mm lens for this and got right up close and pesonal (to the point of having to dry the lens often). Perhaps I should have used a greater depth of field here but I kind of like it. I don't know what it is about shallow DOF lately...I can't seem to get enough of it (not that this is real shallow).

I also had two strobes in use here. One was 80 degrees - camera right and the other about 70 degrees camera left. Both were only 2 feet away and high - pointed down towards the water.

EXIF:
Camera: Olympus E-3
Lens: Zuiko 35mm Macro
Focal Length: 35mm
F/Stop: 6.3
ISO: 100
Exposure Time: 1/200 sec.

Do the little orange/redish reflections in the upper left sector of the photo distract you? I think I should touch them up - if the photo is worth saving. What do y'all think?

Cheers!
- Daniel

Last edited:
I like it. I think if you do keep it, it would would better with the orange spots in the upper left were removed. Also a little more DOF so the back of the splash was in focus too would make it look better.

Good job.

Maybe portrait crop (vertical)?
Do you have any pixels to spare at the bottom edge?

I like it. I think if you do keep it, it would would better with the orange spots in the upper left were removed. Also a little more DOF so the back of the splash was in focus too would make it look better.

I agree! Thank you. :thumbup:

Good job.

Maybe portrait crop (vertical)?
Do you have any pixels to spare at the bottom edge?

I do have pixels to spare at the bottom. Perhaps I'll tinker with it and repost at a later time. Toying with the idea of jumping on the lens and hitting Jupiter yet tonight.

Thanks peeps!!
- Daniel

"Betty Botter bought some butter" --- :D ... well, your "better, Bitter?" made me think of this tongue twister at once. Nice edit. Fun experiment! Droplet photos are so cool. I haven't taken any in 3 years...

How much bitter butter did Betty Botter Buy?

Yes! That looks much more pleasing to my eyes.

Thread derailed by mod. :lmao:

Betty Botter bought some butter,
"But," she said, "the butter's bitter;
If I put it in my batter,It will make my batter bitter;
But a bit of better butter,That would make my batter better.
"So she bought a bit of butter,
Better than her bitter butter,
And she put it in her batter,
And the batter was not bitter;
So 'twas better Betty Botter Bought a bit of better butter.

Yes! That looks much more pleasing to my eyes.

Thanks Bitter! Since joining this forum, I've always been fond of your photography. I've also been equally fond of your "No beating around the bush" replies and posts. Therefore, I very much appreciate this response.

Cheers!
- Daniel

P.S. I agree that the portrait crop works better. Good call!

Most reactions

Back